SOLDIER DOWN

"Hey, you're awake.", someone whispered as I opened my eyes.

"Hi, Doctor Kumar she's awake.", the same person said a little louder.

I opened my eyes slowly and saw Abhay peering down.

"Am I in hell?", I asked as my vision got focused.

"Is it me or do you say that every time you wake up?", he chuckled.

"What are you doing in the infirmary anyway?", I asked.

"Vocational duties. What do you think we hang around your training grounds for fun?"

"How are you feeling?", Doctor Kumar walked up to me and asked with a warm smile.

"Ready to go on a run.", I smiled.

"Tisha tell me honestly did you continue your training even after you had hurt your back?", the doctor asked sternly.

"Uh no?", I attempted at a reasonable answer.

"You bet she did.", Irrfan stood standing in the hallway.

"Oh for God's sake don't you guys have training or something?", I buried my head under the pillow. Here I was hoping I'd be in and out of the infirmary and here stood my entire team in uniform.

"Breakfast break.", Roger shrugged.

"Go have breakfast then.", I groaned.

Abhay chuckled and peeled the pillow off my face.

"So?", the doctor asked me to continue.

"It was just a tiny fall I'm telling you-", I began.

"To heck it was.", there stood Priya.

"Is the other half of the class waiting in the other wing?", I sighed.

"Are you out of your mind, Tisha Dutt?", Priya began. She was the only one who had the right to get angry at me or scold me. Anyone else and heck I'd battle them right here with a broken back.

"Don't you have a rule for the number of maximum visitors in a wing?", I looked for the doctor for help.

She smiled and shrugged. Heck she was enjoying this. 

"So?", the doctor tried a third time.

"She fell off the rope and instead of withdrawing the woman jumped fences climbed bars, crawled through trenches-", Aradhya began counting it off.

"It's not as bad as it sounds.", I tried covering the situation. I didn't need any enemies with friends like them.

Doctor Kumar and Abhay exchanged a playful look.

"Oh great, I've got another Abhay in this academy.", the doctor said still smiling. She was clearly enjoying this too much.

"I've spent half my time at the Academy in the infirmary. Heck when it was time to choose duties, I stuck to the hospital wing. I'd got the hang of it by just watching Agent Kumar for days.", Abhay explained.

"And that happened because-", Kumar left the sentence for him to finish.

"Because I didn't heed her advice to rest after an injury.", Abhay completed.

Kumar gave me a pointed look.

And then it dawned on me.

"No.", I said.

"You need bed rest Tisha. Your back may not be broken but it most definitely is not ready to resume training.", Kumar said.

"No, I have group assignments. I'll fail the semester if I don't take them."

"No, you don't.", Aviral said.

I glared at him but he continued - "Group assignments are once a week. And this week's task is done. We don't have another task for a week. Besides, we scored the highest marks in that task so even if you missed the next one, it won't affect your grade much.", he finished.

"I swear to God, Aviral-", I said attempting to get up and hit him with my pillow.

Abhay effortlessly held me down.

"Please doctor. I'd do anything. Physiology sessions heck I'll even do meditation for you. Just don't cut me off training for a week.", I pleaded.

She sighed. 

"Fine but you stay here till tomorrow and if I find you good by then, you'll be allowed restrictive training and you'll still be taking physiology sessions."

"You're the best.", I smiled wildly wanting to hug her.

"If being the operative word.", she interrupted but I had stopped paying heed.

"I think you guys should head off if you want to have any breakfast at all.", Abhay said checking his watch.

"He's right guys, go you won't survive the day without it.", I said.

"I'll come see you after the training okay?", Priya said.

I nodded. I needed these guys to leave immediately. I could start crying any moment now.

"I'll take care of her.", Abhay reassured her.

"Sure, you will.", Aviral said giving me a knowing smile.

This time I did pick up the pillow and hit him square in the face.

Abhay saw this exchange with amused interest and it didn't go missing on him that something was going on.

"Common.", Aradhya said dragging them all out of the infirmary.

"Nice friends.", Abhay said.

I sighed glad that he didn't bring the topic up. Heck a back injury was enough to deal with right now, I didn't want the embarrassment of admitting that I had a crush on him from day 1.

"Demons.", I smiled and yawned. The medicines were powering over me.

"Right. You're still on painkillers, so you'll need to rest a lot. I am on duty here for the complete day. Call me when you wake up, I'll get you your breakfast.", he smiled.

No, I whispered, not that smile again as my heart started pacing at a whole another level.

"What?", he asked.

"Uhh thanks.", I said clearing my throat.

He smiled. "Sleep Tisha."

I didn't need any encouragement as the moment he closed the curtains to my bed, the darkness immediately prompted me to sleep and boy was it a good sleep. I bet I'd wake up smiling.