ANOTHER SHOT

As we got out of the building, I spotted Abhay. I wanted to keep moving on, I swear I did, but my eyes acted of their own accord and I looked at who he was talking to.

He was leaning against the building and talking to a girl who was dressed in the same uniform. Of course, they were in the same year. Why did I never think of the fact that Abhay might already have a girlfriend. He seemed carefree while talking to her, his laugh was uncontrolled and I realized it was the first time, I'd seen him this relaxed. Maybe he always kept his guard up around me and all he was trying to be to me was a friendly senior. But I hadn't imagined those moments - they had happened.

"Tisha-", Priya said from beside me and I jumped caught red-handed.

"Yeah.", I said walking ahead and she followed me.

"Take a picture, why don't you?", she teased.

"I don't know what you're talking about.", I said keeping a serious face. Aviral guessing it was enough, my roommate discovering it was giving a stupid crush too much reality.

"Let's skip the part where we pretend you don't have a crush on Abhay.", she said.

"Will it matter if I deny it?", I suggested.

"No, I've suspected so from the first day.", I said as we walked towards our hostel.

"That's not possible. I've successfully managed to keep all my crushes to myself for more than six years now.", I said nodding.

"You don't actually count that as an achievement, do you? That's just sad.", she said.

"You're not helping, Priya."

"Okay, I was kidding. But why don't you just go and tell him - I mean worst case scenario he'll say no.", she reasoned as we entered our room.

"Well first case scenario happened, Priya , he said no, in more clear terms than was necessary.", I said going into the bathroom.

"Okay, I have an idea.", she said as I came out after my bath.

"I'm listening.", I said patting my hair dry with the towel.

"Let's go to the party, drink and dance and have fun and forget all about it."

"I'm in, Besides, I'm a big girl I know how to move on and tonight I think I might.", I said.

"That's the evil smile I love.", she said hugging me.

I laughed. I had always had trust issues but I'm glad Priya could see  right through me. I didn't want to keep secrets from my roommate and with Priya, I didn't have to.

"You both suck at makeup.", Aradhya said as soon as she had taken one look at us coming out of our room and promptly sent us back.

"I do more makeup for the classes.", she said examining our combined make-up collection.

"This will not do.", she said shaking her head in disappointment, "Wait right here till I get my stuff.", she warned us as she closed the door behind her.

"She's scary.", Priya said. I nodded.

"Okay.", Aradhya said kicking the door open after 10 seconds.

"How-", I began.

"Eyeliner.", she said loosening the lid, "Now I want you to close your eyes and keep them closed till I say."

"What do you have in mind?", I began my attempt of a joke but she shushed me immediately.

I felt her apply the cool liquid in one clean stroke on my eyelid.