CHAPTER 17: Rylie's tongue

"Okay, now I am super curious. What the hell is that thing?"

Adrian stopped typing on the rectangular mini TV looking like phone and pointed it. "You mean this?"

"Yes! That!"

"It's a phone." He deadpanned. "I didn't knew that you would be so dumb."

I punched his arm. "Of course I know that it is a phone, but where are the keys? The buttons? You know that abc, def and stuff."

Adrian's eyes widened in shock. "Oh mio Dio, you are kidding me, right?"

I frowned. "What? I don't understand."

"You have never had a phone before in your life?" He asked.

I chuckled. "Of course I did. It was small, very cute looking, blue in colour with buttons and a small screen."

Adrian kept eyeing at me in disgust.

I frowned again. "What? Why are you looking at me like that?"

He sighed loudly and firmly placed his hands on my shoulders, his baby blue eyes staring deep into my pale brown eyes.

"Signorina Amelia Jones, you are an outdated woman just like your outdated phone." I have no idea what this man is saying. "The technology you are talking about is old. Probably eight or nine years old."

"Are you telling me that there is no worm eating apples game?!" I gasped in shock.

"What game?" He asked.

"The one where the worm keeps growing in a box after eating apples. I loved that game!"

Adrian laughed. "No, no. Amy, that game is still there and so is PlayStation and Tic tac toe."

"Then what's the use of making it all big screened, touchy and keypad-less?" I cringed to myself.

"Come on, I'll show you." Adrian handed me the device. I took in all the six sides of the phone, saw the earphone and charging holes, two cameras on the back and one on front and found that one of the two thin sides had a button so I pressed it and gasped again when the screen glowed. Adrian laughed at my reaction.

Seven years in this hell house and I sure missed a lot of good things. No phones. No computers and especially no TV for the housekeepers. Just work, eat, sleep and repeat.

"Fratello, you were supposed to work and not teach her how to make calls to her famiglia." The Agostini son grumbled in annoyance as he stacked a few papers placed on his desk and leaned back on his chair, giving me a bored look. "And you, little girl, are supposed to be in your room."

"Aw, so you finally decided to speak up after three hours of silence?" I cooed in fake enthusiasm. "Weren't you the one who said that I don't follow orders? Besides, I have been cooped up in that room for days, sleeping and eating."

And gazing out of the balcony in night, I wanted to add.

He shook his head in resentment and continued doing whatever he is doing.

"Fratello, don't worry. I won't let her dial anything." Adrian assured him. "I'm just explaining the things she doesn't know about the generation she belongs to, the generation we belong to."

"Hmm, I wonder whose fault is that?" I thought out loud earning a short laugh from Adrian. "The women working in the mansion have no means of entertainment. The only entertainment I have had here is stealing the knives I used to cut the bars of my poor window."

The Agostini son grunted in response, but kept his eyes on the paper he was reading.

It has been a few days since that monster shot me and I survived. I have been doing nothing since then. Sleeping, eating the food Rylie delivers me and simply staring out at the grounds during nighttime. Let's ignore the part where the Agostini son is always present on the balcony beside mine and we don't speak anything till I don't go back in and sleep.