CHAPTER 29: The dinner

Silence. An absolute pin drop silence.

Some of the men had their food hanging in the air while some kept pouring water in a full glass and I actually saw a man choking on his food, his face had turned into an ugly shade of red then he passed out on his chair.

I rolled my eyes. "I was expecting you guys to shout 'yes!' but never mind. I guess that was a one time thing."

It was like an eye opening moment for the men and they quickly started arranging the plates, glasses, their chairs and themselves by straightening up their ties and posture like a pure gentlemen they were. I kept playing with a strand of my hair with a toothy smile on my face and watched them making things in order and presentable.

"Where should I sit?" I thought out loud, tapping my chin and believe it or not over twenty men got up and offered me their seats.

So gentlemanly!

Confidently, I took long strides towards the Agostini brothers and stood beside one.

"Get up." I ordered.

Adrian gawked at me. "Are you out of your mind? This is my usual seat. I have been sitting here ever since I was a child."

"And I'm a guest at your usual dinner," I leaned towards his ear and whispered, "daddy."

Pink stains tainted on his cheeks. "Amelia... don't." He warned but it came out more like a beg.

"Daddy, please?" I batted my eyelashes innocently and tickled a spot behind his ear.

"Eek!" He squirmed and got up from his chair. "That's it! It's all yours. I'll grab another chair."

I grinned devilishly and made myself comfortable on the chair.

"Just so you know..." Adrian pulled out another chair and sat beside me, his eyes filled with mischievousness. "I farted in that seat minutes ago."

"I picked my nose and didn't wash my hand." I flashed him my hand, the same hand which I touched him only a mere seconds. The colour of his face drained in a very strange manner and he refrained himself from touching his ear.

My eyes went to the men who were watching me as if I was sent from Heaven itself. All dreamy eyed and shocked.

"God! I'm so hungry." I groaned loudly and picked up a new plate. The men watched me taking two full portions of lasagna and I rolled my eyes again. "What? Can't a girl eat to her heart's desire? Go on, carry on with your meals."

A man whom I recognised in the party was sitting in front of me, slightly leaned forward. "You can, signorina. We like women who love to eat, but... we haven't had a woman dining with us in ages."

I could easily guess who was the last woman who had dinner with these men.

I smiled at the man. "Do tell me, signore, what is your name? I haven't had the chance to learn the names last time we met."

"It's Piero, signorina." He smiled back.

"Pie."

"No, Piero."

"Piero the Pie." I cooed.

His smile didn't reach his eyes anymore. It had become forced and I realised that this man had a strong attachment to his name. "Si, signorina. It's Pie."

I kept my elbows on the table and sighed dreamily. "Well, Piero, do you mind if I join you guys tonight?"

He laughed nervously. "I don't think I have a saying in this, but you should ask capo who is sitting right beside you."