CHAPTER 47: The party

"A-Adrian... I can't accept this. It is too much. I'm already having a hard time getting adjusted with the dress, the makeup, the shoes and now this!"

He smiled at my shocked state. "I insist."

"I don't deserve this." I breathed out. "I lost the pleasure of dressing up, attending functions and parties a long time ago. Heck, I don't even remember when was the last time I dressed up like this or maybe I never did."

"Are you done?" He asked in a bored tone. "Because your excuses are going to deaf ears. My brother wants you to look at your best and so do I." He removed the diamond necklace from its box and placed it on my neck as a show. My eyes watered at its beauty. "This completes it and you know it too."

"If you can help me wear it..." I mumbled meekly, sighing in defeat.

He chuckled. "Of course."

Adrian clasped the necklace on my neck very carefully while I wore its matching pair of diamond studded earrings and tied my silver mask.

"How do I look now?"

"Exactly like a woman you are meant to be." He answered and wore his red mask.

I smiled and got up from my chair, taking small baby steps as I get accustomed to my heels.

"Let's get this show on the road, shall we?" I smirked.

Adrian grinned mischievously, understanding the double meaning of my statement and put forth his arm for me to take. "We shall."

Slowly, we reached the staircase. I could hear voices and laughter from downstairs. Nervousness kicked in and it made my grip around Adrian's arm tighten tenfold.

"Don't let me fall."

"Unless I plan on pushing you purposefully, I won't."

I adjusted the slit of my dress, mentally not wanting to kick it on every step. "Whoever designed this dress forgot to cover up one leg."

"Whoever designed this dress was ordered to design it especially for you." He retorted.

"What?" I mumbled in shock. "Are you saying that..."

He nodded. "Si. My brother spared no efforts and expense for you. That, my lovely Amy, are true signs of a whipped man."

My heels tapped on every step I took as we descended down the stairs. The voices got louder and louder and I heard low music coming from an end. "Right. No expenses. You guys are damn rich. Do you even pay taxes?"

Adrian snickered. "You'd be shocked if I tell you that we indeed do pay our taxes. We are bad as well as good citizens of our country. After all, everybody wants their country to thrive."

"Forget I ever asked you that." I muttered.

We reached the staircase of main hall and I looked down to see lots of people in suits, gowns and wearing masks.

"You ready?"

I took a deep breath. "Yeah. Let's go down."

We took a turn together and faced the crowd from up. Many heads turned in our direction as Adrian and I began to climb down the stairs, arms interlinked.

"Why is everybody staring at me like that?" I whispered in his ear.

"Many reasons." He whispered back. "They are trying to figure out who you are. Everybody here came from main door while you, Amelia, are already inside so they are assuming things about you."

"What things?"

"Either you came here early and I took you upstairs to screw you till I showed you heaven because you are my date." I looked at him in disbelief. Adrian kept a straight face. "Or you are a part of our famiglia, which you already are and I brought my sorella as my date. Second, some of them know that you are Leo's date so they are just admiring or envying your beauty because you are the most beautiful woman here. Overall, they are just trying to figure out who you are."