Chapter 1-Pilot

What is red? Is it simply a colour? Or is it more? Is it lust, love, death? Or just the colour of that common liquid which runs through all our veins? If I told you I was gushing red, would you think that I’m in love? Or would you believe I was dying?

Aren’t they the same? Can’t love be the death of someone? Ask yourself, is love an escape from all the horrors of life? Or is it just merely a distraction?

Everyone has an opinion, if you ask me, I would tell you that love or lust is the exact same as death or loss. Though I can tell you this, I can also tell you that I have no way of defining this or proving it with some life-changing Albert Einstein quote, it’s just what I believe.

In our world today, we have accepted vampires and zombies into our society, though we know of the zombies, they are still on the ‘to be avoided’ list.

Unlike the vampires, the zombies have lost all their knowledge and their willpower or even their ability to determine right from wrong and if you are simply walking down the street and run into one, your only defence is either a vampire or your ability to run.

I have no idea why they let such beastly creatures roam our beautiful city, even the vampires, with all their charm and beauty can get into some fowl moods and once temper tantrum, no matter how old the vampire is, could result in the whole city’s death.

There are more beasts out there that we know of, for example the werewolves, though due to the natural food chain, they tend to stay away from civilisation.

Let me explain, the vampires are the top monsters of the food chain, then the zombies, then the werewolves and after all the supernatural AND natural creatures on earth’s surface, us humans come in last.

If you’re lucky, you can be turned into a vampire and instantly fly to the top but if, like many, you’re unlucky then it’s doubtful you’ll live past the first four months of your life.

What scares me the most is that every day, my family in particular, live in fear of being killed. Since my mother and father’s death, it has just been me and my seven year old brother. I was only five years older than him but it felt like I was in my mid fifties due to the amount of maturity I had to build in such a small amount of time.

We remain in our old house with numerous escape plans and routes. See the thing about this once blooming city, is that any second your house could be raided by hungry vampires and zombies.

If it were up to me, I’d rather die by vampires, at least then it’s a quick and painless death. That’s how my parents died. Sure, I grieved but I was just thankful that they died quickly instead of having a zombie’s rotten teeth sink into their head and make them undergo a painful and agonizing transition into a soulless creature.

Now I won’t lie, it’s not like we humans are forever doomed. During the years, we have developed a technique of being hidden in plain sight from the zombies and even a few techniques on how to officially get rid of them, though none have been discovered for the vampires yet.

 I don’t mind though, vampires were usually so sweet, so honest and lively not to mention completely captivating creatures and they hardly ever attacked a human and if they did, it was only very rarely that that human would die.

Still, there were those few idiotic humans out there who read every vampire novel and watched every vampire movie to try and kill them, though it never worked. We were told there was a way to kill them, though we were never told what exactly it was. Though we did know something for sure…wooden stakes, silver bullets and vervain didn’t do so much as make a scratch to their flawless skin.

Let me tell you about this one experience I had where I almost lost my life…I was leaving a friend’s place late, it was actually super early into the morning, about one or two am if I’m being specific. A zombie pulled me into a dark alleyway and though I couldn’t see its face, I could tell it was a zombie simply from the way it smelled and groaned.