Chapter 2-Uncertainty

I met him the next day on the crowded street, holding onto my brother’s hand and the other holding onto my suitcase and other things. He wore a black beanie, a grey shirt with a brown overcoat and again, black skinny jeans. What is it with guys and skinny jeans?

“Are you ready? I’ll take some of your things for you.”

He reached for my bags but I threw them behind me and his smile faded a little and turned to an expression of hurt.

“You don’t trust me, do you?” He asked and he tried his best to muster up a smile.

“I at least need your name.” I had never sounded so childish before but that’s what I was-a child.

I didn’t know any better than to not trust anyone we come across. Even the store clerk was someone who couldn’t be trusted in my eyes. The only person I could trust was my brother, Jordan, because he was the only person left who I loved.

“I’m Harry.” The vampire said smiling gently before tilting his head towards the direction of the forest and as he started walking, I pulled Jordan closer towards me and followed him.

I moved my hand through Jordan’s lengthy, golden hair the way our mother used to and pulled his head closer to my hip as if it would somehow protect him.

We ventured through the forest and eventually came to the field of flowers I had visited previously. I couldn’t believe it, he really did bring us here, though I still didn’t trust him. He could have easily brought us here so the other vampires roaming the streets wouldn’t smell the desiring scent of blood and go on a rampage.

He brought us to a large rock, bigger than himself and he turned around and smiled at us. I pushed Jordan behind us and we both took a couple of steps back, yet this time instead of his smile completely disappearing, it only faded a little.

“This is where you guys will be sleeping and you needn’t worry, I won’t kill you in your sleep and I didn’t bring you here just for a snack.”

I glared at him. Of course, how could I forget? Vampires can hear your thoughts. I knew I wasn’t safe here. Jordan and I quickly took more steps back and we were about to break into a run but as we turned around, he stood in front of us and once again, I reached out and pulled Jordan to my side.

“I’m not going to hurt you.” He put his hands out only slightly in front and his palms faced us to signal the truth but I knew better than to trust another person.

“Then why won’t you let us leave?” I questioned frantically, trying my best not to break out into tears for Jordan’s sake, he must have been terrified at this point.

Harry sighed and moved his body to the side, allowing us passage and permission to leave if we desired.

“You can leave if you want, I just don’t want you to get hurt. I’m trying to protect you here. I remember when I was human and I almost died by a zombie, I was bitten and the only way I could have been saved was a vampire bite, it’s much more powerful.”

I looked up at the forest and my eyes widened as Jordan ran for them but stopped and looked back at me when he realised I hadn’t taken one single step. He ran back to me and grabbed my hand before tugging the edge of my shirt and signalling me to follow him.

I looked at Harry who stood to my side and I gulped nervously.

“If we go back, how long will we last?” I asked, looking at the ground ahead of me, refusing to look at his captivating eyes.

He laughed softly for a while before shaking his head and looking up at me. Did he really think I was that incapable of surviving?

“Well how long have you survived without your parents?”