Chapter 5-The Year's Flown By

One Year Later

Nothing much has happened the previous year. Now that I am thirteen I keep repeating that I am officially a teenager and I keep attempting to push around Harry but all my attempts fail and are immediately shot down.

I hate much of an adult he acts sometimes though I will admit, his maturity is amusing to poke fun of sometimes. Harry always says how quickly I've grown up and he always becomes sad right after he says things like that. I guess he wanted me to keep my innocence? Though in a world where zombies and vampires are a part of everyday life, I doubt that innocence is a positive thing.

During the past year, Harry taught me and Jordan how to hunt deer found deep within the woods, how to create a fire, build various items which scared me a little as without having to teach him much, Jordan ended up building a stone knife. Granted it was blunt and unusable, but what else will he try and do?

Aside from that one incident, Jordan has been a lot brighter, a lot happier. He and I share laughs, smiles and often break into laughter from our awful singing, though he still remains cold towards Harry. It's true, Harry teaches us everything he knows but Jordan insists on trying things himself, hence the knife building. He is eight now which scares me. I had to grow up incredibly fast when I was eight in order to save my brother and I from impending zombie attacks.

We also happened to build more of our new home. It started off with just the hut for the first couple of months but now we have built a fence around the perimeter, only ending a couple of feet short of the forest. Harry often leaves me and Jordan alone together inside the fence but the minute one of us wants to hunt or even to just have a look around, he needs to accompany us. Usually it's just me and Harry when I leave the safety of the gates as Jordan absolutely hates the idea of hanging out with him.

Yesterday Jordan actually hit Harry. It didn't affect him physically, he didn't even flinch and Jordan's hand did a hurt a little more than just a simple sting. Hurting a vampire isn't an easy task and if we were in public, Jordan would have been killed on the spot for disrespecting a royal vampire.

Harry let it slide and I didn't want him to, what Jordan did was wrong but at the same time I didn't have the heart to yell at him for it, due to what happened to mum and dad, and Harry respected that.

In a way Harry has become like a new father. Obviously he isn't blood related and he didn't officially adopt us, but it makes more sense to label him as a father figure rather than a kind stranger or even a saviour.

Speaking of saviours, I haven't seen Zayn at all this year. I guess he wasn't coming back which in a way made me relieved but also a little sad at the same time. I just wanted to see him once again even if it was only for a second just so I could say thank you. Still, I couldn't risk having him here when he could easily kill me and Jordan.

Today I woke up and walked outside in the blinding sunshine and as I looked at Jordan I frowned. Was he always this tall? Or did he grow overnight? Harry crept up behind me and I jumped as I heard him laugh.

"He has been growing the entire year, Lily. You both have. That's what growing up is."

I looked at Jordan who was now staring at me blankly. I walked over to him and he continued staring to where I had previously stood. I looked back there to find nothing so I wrapped my arm around his neck and ruffled his hair with my knuckles which got him worked up and he struggled to get out of my grasp. He finally managed to work his way out of my hold and he jumped up onto my shoulder playfully and used the force of his feet and legs to send me flying backwards towards the ground.

It might seem rough and like an attack rather than playing to others but out here in the open with only us three, that's the closest thing we had to playing and he and done it so much that it didn't even hurt me anymore. Jordan and I live by one rule.