Chapter 9-Reliving the Old Days

One Year Later

It’s hard to pinpoint exactly what has happened this past year, it just all flew by way too quickly. Thanks to what had happened that particular day a year ago, Zayn has been visiting us once a week which seems like a lot for a King to visit his subjects but if you think about it, I’ve only seen him fifty two times.

During those days, he trained Jordan and every time he did I ran out thinking he had killed him. He was a lot more violent than Harry was when it came to training, but I’m sure he couldn’t help it. Not only did he have the strength of a vampire, but the strength of a zombie too.

I thought Jordan would hate Zayn’s company but due to him using all his strength in training, unlike Harry, Jordan preferred Zayn. I won’t get ahead of myself, he still hated Zayn more than Harry but when it came to training it couldn’t be anyone but Zayn.

I talked to Zayn nearly every day that he visited which made Harry overly cautious and it took a while but I finally managed to thank him for saving me all those years ago.

When I first allowed him to visit, I thought it would cause troubles like people would become suspicious of the King’s sudden disappearances but Zayn assured us they weren’t.

He had been absent from the palace for over a century and usually kept in contact as he travelled so they didn’t see much of a difference. In fact since he was now staying at the palace six days a week, he managed to keep people from becoming too distrustful.

I thought his zombie nature would slip through his grasp every now and then but he made sure to be well fed before coming to see us. Now that I was fifteen and my brother was ten, we were a lot more understanding and their meaningless adult chatter became understandable to us kids. Still, Jordan was growing up too fast and Zayn and Harry sat by pretending it wasn’t happening.

This morning I awoke to and walked out of the hut to find Zayn and Harry laughing and talking like nothing had changed between them. Sure, when Zayn was with me Harry seemed agitated and wary about Zayn’s actions.

I think he was scared that Zayn would hurt me or his zombie half would start showing, however when he was alone with Zayn he was almost a different person, they both were. Perhaps the love between creator and creation was stronger than I could ever understand? I liked to think I had a similar bond with my brother Jordan, inseparable ‘till the end.

“Lils.”

I beamed and turned to the voice which had come from my side. There was only one person who called me that and that one person was the one person I knew I could always depend on.

“Follow me.”

I laughed as he grabbed my wrist and started running towards the other side of the fence, behind the hut where we never went because there was practically nothing there. He stopped me and moved to the side, revealing a hole in the wood that disappeared to the ground beneath it. Either something had come in or gone out. I clasped my hands over my mouth and gasped.

“Shh! They will hear. Come on.” He nudged his head towards the hole and dropped down onto his knees to crawl through but I pulled him back up and grabbed the corner of his ear with my nail.

He groaned in pain and cried out for me to stop but I just stared straight ahead as I practically dragged him to the other side where Harry and Zayn immediately looked at us with frowns on their faces.

“What happened?” Harry asked concerned about what I was doing.

As I reached them I threw Jordan down into the ground in front of them and I saved a mental image of the looks they both had on their faces, pure confusion and worry. They both knew all too well that I would never lay a hand on Jordan unless he had done something seriously wrong.