Episode 1: Reborn

2017:
(Y/N's) POV:
Tossing and turning in my sleep was now a common nightly activity for me. The bed sheets that once radiated warmth were cold. Nothing has ever been the same since Mikey disappeared. Suddenly, my phone rang causing me to turn and grab it.

"Who the hell is calling at 3:11 in the morning," I muttered.

I looked at the caller ID and saw that it was from one of my coworkers in the morgue. I just left work a bit over an hour ago, what could've gone wrong since then? 

I hit the answer button as my coworker, Mina, frantically started speaking. "A truck just crashed into a crowd of people and killed them! I'm the only one here tonight, so I was wondering if you could come back to help me?"

"Mina, it's 3 in the goddamn morning," I responded. "But I'll help you out of respect for the families of the victims."

"Thank you so much, Sano!" Mina sighed in relief. "I don't think that I could've identified all these bodies in one night."

I said goodbye as I slowly ambled to my closet to change into my work clothes. When I signed up to be a forensic pathologist, I did not imagine having to go back to work less than two hours after I left. I brewed a cup of coffee for myself and sighed. This will be a long night.

Luckily, I did not live far from the morgue. Mikey was the one who decided where we moved all of them years ago. He knew that I didn't like taking the train, which led him to choose our housing near my workplace. I purged my mind of those thoughts. It doesn't help to dwell on the past.

I walked into the entrance and made my way to room 2, where I usually performed autopsies on my patients. As expected, the body bags were already on the table. I unzipped the first bag and dropped to my knees in horror. 

"Katsume!?" I screamed.

Never had I ever imagined that I would find one of my best friends in a body bag, let alone two. When I opened the next bag, I saw another one of my close friends, Hina. My coworker just stared in confusion as I sat on the floor in horror. 

"You knew them?" Mina whispered in an effort to calm me.

"Y-yeah," I sniffled. "They're my best friends. They were all I had left." 

Mina was at a loss for words as she didn't know what else to say. "Don't worry about the autopsies, I'll call Nick in to take care of it." 

I nodded as I tried to compose myself while exiting the building. I wasn't able to get a wink of sleep. Maybe TV could calm me down. Unfortunately, the news was the last thing that I watched the day prior. 

"Now a newsbreak," the reporter started. "The escalating dispute between the Tokyo Manji Gang and its rivals is believed to have claimed several additional innocent victims. Three victims were pronounced dead at the scene."

My grip tightened on my coffee cup. Did he say the Tokyo Manji Gang?

"Official word is being withheld pending notification of next of kin. But three have been identified as Naoto Tachibana, 25 from Shibuya Tokyo. Another victim also from Shibuya, Tachibana's older sister, Hinata Tachibana, 26 years old. The last victim was also from Shibuya, 26 year old Katsume Rin. The police department is on high alert," the reporter concluded.

My hand instinctively covered my mouth. The fact that two of my close friends and Naoto were dead had already sunk in. The possibility that Mikey could've been the one responsible for this tragedy was the thing that currently weighed on my mind. I know that he is not the same person that I was with in middle school, but could he actually be a murderer? I pondered the question for a minute and came to a conclusion. Of course he's capable of that, he is the leader of Toman after all. Could this be the reason that he left?