19. rickmancing the stone

*sort of a filler chapter here, i guess. it's not one of my favorite chapters so far but i ran through it a few times and tried to at least make it enjoyable and funny. the episode kind of focuses a bit more on summer and morty so i did what i could with cas and rick. also some character development is hopefully incoming for cas so be excited cause i am! anyways, enjoy. partially but not fully edited*

"Oof!" Cas groaned as she quite literally rolled through the portal

"Oof!" Cas groaned as she quite literally rolled through the portal. She rubbed her shoulder before pushing herself up.

"Summer, next time we're hiding in a Colorkian echo nest, can you do me a favor and turn your ringer off?" Morty snapped at his sister as Cas hopped up to sit on Rick's work bench, sighing quietly. It was no secret that the divorce between Beth and Jerry had been effecting both kids in different ways. Summer kept avoiding the issue as often as possible while Morty lashed out at the smallest of things while also ignoring his repressed anger about it. Granted, Summer blowing the mission wasn't a small thing but Cas could still see he was projecting.

"It's called 'carpe diem,' Morty." Summer replied nonchalantly while not tearing her eyes from her phone. "Look it up."

"You look it up!" Morty said angrily, "Y-y-you don't even - you don't even know what it means!"

"That's because losers look stuff up while the rest of us are carpin' all them diems." Summer grinned, high fiving Rick as he put his hand behind him. Cas pointed at Summer in agreement and Morty let out a frustrated noise at that. He noticed that ever since Rick returned and they had been going on more and more adventures, that Cas became so much more laid back and confident, adopting some of Rick's carefree traits. He was happy for her because she seemed happy but he knew it would come back to bite her. Things like that always did when it came to Rick.

"Listen to your sister, Morty. To live is to risk it all," Rick said and put the weapon he was tinkering with down. "Otherwise you're just an inert chuck of randomly assembled molecules drifting wherever the universe blows you." Cas snorted loudly at as she noticed Rick's gaze turn to Jerry who walked up the driveway in the middle of the conversation. "Oh, I'm sorry. Jerry, I didn't see you there. H-how much of that did you hear?" Rick lied.

"All of it. You were looking right at me," Jerry responded with a sigh. "I just wanted to say goodbye to the kids."

"Cool, just stay in the driveway. The killbots are live and I took you off the white list," Rick warned and picked the weapon up again to work on it. Jerry stepped back quickly at that.

"We'll see you every other weekend, though, right?" Morty asked his father as Summer moved to watch Rick's work over his shoulder. Cas heard Jerry mention something about suing for custody and settlement money but she didn't care. Instead, she focused on what Rick was doing, handing him the appropriate tools before he even needed to ask for them. "Uh, Summer, dad's leaving," Morty pointed out.