29. the old man and the seat

*hello omg. here's a good chapter with cas and rick sort of getting along (you know things are going well with them when rick calls her cassie)! also, thank you to a very lovely human being for telling me about the song above because it fits cas and rick so nicely. anyways enjoy!*

Even after their small talk in the garage, it still felt like there was the need to walk on eggshells for both Cas and Rick

Even after their small talk in the garage, it still felt like there was the need to walk on eggshells for both Cas and Rick. Rick didn't want to upset Cas even more and was having a hard time expressing his own feelings about the entire situation. Cas, on the other hand, didn't seem to grasp that Rick needed time to adjust still. Despite what he claimed, he wasn't the best with change, especially when it didn't benefit him.

It got to the point where some days would be good for him and Cas and other days would be filled with tension and snapping at each other until Cas would give in again. They'd spend a few days stable before it crumbled from the smallest thing and instead of big fights erupting, it was awkward silences and mumbled bitter comments. Rick could tell she was unhappy but just wanted to try and figure it out with him and yet he didn't even know what to do to fix it. It came down to a severe lack of communication that neither one realized or would even admit to if they ever did realize.

After all, they could only take so many steps on eggshells before they cracked beyond repair. Thankfully for the family though, this was a good day for the rocky couple.

"We're out of syrup," Rick spoke up as he tried to pour some onto his pancakes. "Huh. You know what? Maybe I'll use my intern," Rick grinned before calling out for Glootie. Glootie, a small pink alien, walked up to Rick, holding a full bottle of syrup up and poured some onto Rick's pancakes. Glootie went to take a few steps back before Rick cleared his throat and nudged his head towards Cas, who sat next to him. Glootie was quick to reach over to Cas' plate and drench the pancakes with syrup. "Thanks, Glootie," Both Rick and Cas said at the same time.

"Anything else? Do you want to develop an app?" Glootie asked.

"No thanks, Glootie," Rick replied, glancing at the words he wrote on Glootie head that stated not to develop his app. It was mostly there for Jerry but Cas knew that wouldn't stop Jerry either. "What's up, Glootie?" Morty smiled and held his fist out to Glootie, who fist bumped him back.

"Hi, Morty. Do you want to develop an app?" Glootie asked, to which Morty was quick to decline as well.

"Rick, what does it say 'Do not develop my app,' on your interns forehead?" Jerry asked, which prompted Glootie got asked Jerry the very same question he asked Rick, Cas and Morty a million times already.

"Ah, I'm glad you ask that, Jerry. Cas, would you like to explain since you're the nicer of the two of us?" Rick asked and Cas gave a small smile at that. Thankfully, today was starting off fairly well for them and Cas was just happy to wake up and finally see Rick next to her again instead of cold empty sheets. She felt it was a step in the right direction for them. "Oh, yeah. It's so you don't develop his app and destroy the whole world as we know it. Because we all know you can fuck up just about anything if you set your mind too it." Cas shrugged.