🍭Twelve: Why do we have to be like this?

A U T H O R

It's past six and Jennie's already sleeping with her head on top of an opened book. Her notebook is already filled with random lines and the table's a mess.

Her phone kept ringing with her mom's name. She already has twelve missed calls and twenty messages since she fell asleep.

Taehyung happened to pass by and saw someone sleeping through the transparent glass wall. "Kim Jennie?" He asked and ran to the library.

The school lights were out except for the ones inside the library. The librarian wasn't there either since that afternoon so no one woke her up.

Taehyung pushed the door open and stopped after confirming it was her. "She's still here." He walked towards her and checked if she really is asleep. "Jennie." He called and shook her. "Jen." He called again but there wasn't a single response.

Sighing, he pulled out a chair and sat there, looking at her.

"I'm sorry." He whispered. "I only did what you asked me to. You told me you don't need my help. You asked me to forget that we know each other and I'm doing it yet you're still mad."

He slowly brought his hand up and caressed her hair.

"I wanted to leave because you're too uncomfortable to work with me. I know too well that you don't want to work with me so I spoke up and asked to leave. But instead, you got mad at me. How do you expect me to act? I don't get you."

He tucked her hair behind her ear and smiled to see her face.

"You're right, Jenjen. I never did anything for you. That was the only time I can do something to comfort you but I chose not to speak to you on the phone. I'm sorry. You're not the bestfriend I deserved. I'm not worthy of having someone like you. But I want to make things right this time if only you'll accept me again. Just say the word and I'll do everything to prove myself to you. I'm not gonna use you again. I'll make sure to take care of you like how you did before to me. If only you can make room for me in your life. Just this once." He smiled bitterly and shed a tear. "Why do we have to be like this?"

He was suddenly cut by Jennie's phone ringing. He took it and read the caller's ID. After knowing it was Jennie's mom, he didn't hesitate to answer.

'Jennie!'

"Mrs. Kim." Taehyung said making Jennie's mom confused. "I'm with Jennie right now. She fell asleep at the library."

'Taehyung? Omo. Are the both of you going in the same school? What a coincidence.'

"I didn't expect it at first too. Should I wake her?"

'You don't have to. I'm sure she's tired of all the school work. It's Saturday tomorrow and she would always go home at around five so we were worried when she hasn't arrived yet. Can I ask you for a favor?'

Taehyung kept Jennie's stuff inside her bag and thought of how he could take her to her home. "Don't nag at me if you find out. I'm just helping you and doing a request."

He slowly placed his hand on her back and carried her on his arms. She groaned a bit but burried her face on his chest making him smile.

"What's this?" He giggled and shook his head. He brought her to his car and carefully laid her on the backseat with her bag. He closed the door and started driving her home.

In just fifteen minutes, he arrived there and carried her inside. "I'm really sorry for this Taehyung. I hope it's okay."

"It's really fine, Mrs. Kim. It's also my fault because I didn't help her with the project." Gracie opened the door to Jennie's room and Taehyung laid her on the bed.

"I'll get you something to eat downstairs. My husband said he needs to talk to you." She left the room and closed the door.

Taehyung was left there frozen. "She didn't have to..close the door." Jennie turned to his side and hugged a pillow. He backed away and gulped. She might wake up any second. He did find it cute though. "Have some rest." He said before kissing her head and leaving.

He went downstairs and waited for Jennie's parents. Thought he felt scared of what they're gonna say and do to him, he kept a straight face.

"Here." Gracie bought a cup of hot choco and sandwich with a chocolate spread. "Thanks for doing me this favor. I owe you one."

"It's really fine.. Mr. and Mrs. Kim." He couldn't look at Jennie's dad. He had a strong aura surrounding him.

"I heard both of you go to the same school." Wendel, her father, started. "How is she? How does she treat you?"

"She's doing well..sir. Our teachers are complimenting her most of the times. And we don't talk to each other that often anymore."

"She was really traumatized and depressed when you left." He said making Taehyung furrow his brows and look at him. "We had to bring her to a psychiatrist once a month to monitor her health. She went through a lot of things to get to her right mind again."

"Psychiatrist.." He quietly said. "I.." He lost his confidence and looked down. "I'm sorry."

How could I face them after finding out that she had to go through that because of me?

"We can't force you to go to a different school but please. As much as possible, don't go near her again."

"Yeobo." Gracie said and looked at her husband with a confused look. "Don't say that."

"She became like that because of you. She suffered all that because of you. I'm doing this as her father. I don't want her to be like that again. I hope you understand."

"Wendel that's enough. I'm sure Taehyung didn't wish for that to happen to her. They're just kids. Move on. Jennie has moved on and so do you."

"I'm warning you. If you try to do that to my daughter again, you will have to deal with me." He stood up and left.

"Tae, I'm really sorry. Don't mind what he said. I'll talk to him, okay?" She held his hand. "I trust you. Just don't hurt her again. Be by her side, just like before." Gracie said before leaving.

"Even her dad doesn't want me in her life." His tears started to form again. She felt depressed because of me. She even needed a psychiatrist to help her.. "What have I done to you?"