🍭Thirty-one: I'll set you free

A U T H O R

Their dance ended beautifully and everyone in the room applauded. Just after their claps slowed down, a pendulum clock sound effect was played, causing a confusion. "I'll show you something." Taehyung said and held her hand. "Kaja."

He pulled her out and left the hall, running to the school terrace. "What are we doing here? We can't be here." But Taehyung didn't listen and headed to the terrace.

"It should've started by now." Jennie furrowed her brows and faced the open area. Then, after several moments, fireworks exploded in the night sky.

Jennie's eyes widened while watching the colors fly across the sky. Taehyung smiled as he watch her admire the scenery. "I had a talk with the fireworks department and they told me about this. I thought we should watch it from a better view."

"It's beautiful.." She quietly said then faced him. "Thank you."

"You know I'll only give the best to you. But.. I actually wanted to say something to you too." He held her hand and caressed it. "Kim Jennie." His eyes got teary as he call her name. Jennie was confused. Why did he suddenly act like that after taking her there? "I love you so much..you know that, right? I want us to start again so badly so I could do it right this time. I tried reasoning out and I did everything to gain your trust back. But I didn't know I just hurt you even more. I'm sorry."

"What are you trying to say? Just say it and stop going around in circles."

"I'll stop." Her expression calmed. "Like you said, you'll always remember me as someone who hurt you and that will only pain you even more. Giving up is the last thing I wanted to do. I can't lose you twice but I can't see you hurting too. I don't want to do this. I want to keep you but I can't. I want to hold on but it would only hurt you. Jen, I didn't want to do this. I can't." He pulled her towards him and kept her in his embrace. "I can't let you go again. I can't. I don't want to do this."

She didn't know what to say. All that she can think of was to hug him back. There was a mix of emotions and she can't find the right words.

"I'll go back. I'll ask aunt Trisha to allow me to go back. I'll try my best to get over this. Just promise me. Be happy. Stop torturing yourself and find someone you'll love and will love you with all his heart. I only pained you so it could never be me. Just seeing you happy is already enough for me, Jen. Do this for me, at least?"

"Why are you suddenly like this? Are you sick or.. Did something happen?"

"Jennie.. Don't give me hope..please.. I won't be able to let you go if say that." He pulled away and wiped his tears. "Watching you from a distance will be fine. Be well, okay? I love you." He leaned closer to kiss her.

Jennie placed her hand on his chest and caressed his face. She kissed him back, reason for him to kiss her deeper thinking it's going to be their last. He held her nape and pulled her closer.