Chapter 16

To Omo-Ochum1980 and your hubby... this one is dedicated to y'all.

CHAPTER 16

Indigo Sky Territory...

Carrie Greenbriar watched the disaster that was her father stumble around the front yard. Looking at the sloppy dirty mess she wondered if the father she remembered when her mother was alive, ever actually existed. For a little bit after returning she saw the father she knew but then he returned to his destructive ways. Single handedly he managed to destroy his relationship with his mate, his daughter, and his Beta.

Flashback (3 years ago)...

Thirteen old Carrie watched as her father took another drink. She had been home for two years and during this time she saw him consume more of the potent alcohol in a day than she had ever seen him consume the entire eight years she had lived with him before. The more he drank the quieter he became like a storm brewing with violent intent. Shade breezed in like a breath of fresh air on a stagnant day.

"Freddy?" She said looking at his condition with worry.

"What?" Frederick Greenbriar grouched reaching for the bottle.

Snatching it away, Shade said, "That's enough. Your daughter doesn't need to sit there watching her father die of liver failure."

The Alpha jerked to his feet grabbing the smaller figure by the throat harshly, "What would a vampire's whore like you know about what's best for my daughter?"

He shoved her away, she crashed into a small table taking a vase down with her.

He grinned mockingly, "Clumsy slut."

Carrie swallowed hard. Whenever her father had acted out he was immediately contrite and sorry. Shade would accept his apology and then they would disappear for hours. But not this time. From here Carrie could smell blood and saw some cuts from the broken glass. Noticing that Frederick was occupied with gaining more drink. The young girl helped her father's mate to her feet and took her from the room.

Sitting in her bathroom, Carrie pulled out the first aid kit from under the sink. Dabbing on some iodine, she said, "You need to leave Shade."

Shade swallowed hard as tears flowed down her cheeks. "He needs me."

"No. He needs help and you're not it. You nor I can help him. We can either enable his problem or ignore him but he's not going to change unless he wants and tries to. Even then it'll be an uphill battle." she said wisely placing another band-aid on one of the wounds. "If you stay it's only going to get worse. Yesterday he would have apologized. Today he didn't. Tomorrow..."

Shade sniffed and wiped her tears. "I'll think about it."

Carrie only nodded, she recognized a wall when she saw one.

Fast Forward 8 Months...

Beta Talts looked at his friend and Alpha who lay on his study floor cover in vomit and cheap perfume. "Get up!" he said with disgust.

 "Get up!" he said with disgust