Chapter 58

CHAPTER 58

Midway Territory...

Alpha Colin Winters glared at the scenery below his office. The veiled accusations Alpha Jack Mason grated his nerves but he wondered at the circumstance. He gave very little response to the other Alpha during their short phone conversation. Winters was determined to find out the truth.

There was a knock on his door. His third in command opened the door.

"You sent for me sir?" Ezra Mullins asked.

Winters turned to face his Gamma. "Where is Brice?"

"The Beta informed me that you were sending him to assist another pack. He took 15 warriors with him and said that he would be making reports directly to you."

The Alpha took a deep breath. As much as he wanted to rage at his Gamma he knew that it was unfair. Brice outranked him and the situation was not unusual. Sensing his Alpha's anger, Ezra cautiously asked, "Should I try to reach Beta Brice, Sir?"

"No. I will be gone for a few days. You're in charge until I return."

"Yes, Sir."

--------------------

Cub Creek Territory... (TRIGGER WARNING on this first part... Struggling with infertility)

Carla sat on the bathtub edge waiting. The timer dinged and she looked down. Tears filled her eyes as she threw away the test. She sat on the floor and sobbed quietly. For the last five years they had wanted a child but every month it was the same.

Negative.

The door opened and Jack walked in. He could feel her sadness through their bond and already knew the cause. He sat next to her on the floor and gathered her in his arms, rubbing her back soothingly.

"You have to stop this, LaLa. If it happens, it happens. We've already been to the doctor and everything is fine. Sometimes these things take time." he lifted her face. "I love you. Please be patient."

She sniffed and nodded. It wasn't fair that women got pregnant so easily and then called the pregnancy "unwanted." While she was wishing every night for the chance to be a mother.

------------------

For days, their werewolf hearing picked up the sound of heavy machinery being used within the barriers. Now there was only silence. Abram could not see past the barrier and whenever he tried to fly over the dome he was shot at. JJ was hurt pretty badly when she attacked the barrier trying to get at the idiots who were trying to hurt her mate. The distraction allowed Abram to escape.

Luke and the other rogues managed to lay low but they were surrounded and unable to leave. Their phones died after the second day but luckily they were able to communicate with Dameon when he arrived in Cub Creek. They managed to set a few traps to catch some rabbits that they had to eat in animal form since a campfire would have given their positions away.

From their reconnaissance, Dameon's rogues were able to report that the enemy were definitely pack wolves, though they weren't sure from where, vampires, and of course the witch. They also said that the heavy machinery was a huge drill that was assembled on site and powered by a large generator. Luke recognized Rian de Paor, a vampire inventor who was famous for designing and manufacturing the generators. Paor appeared to be working on some sort of machine inside a tent. He described it in as much detail as possible to Dameon.

Abram was asked to look at the sketch that Dameon drew based on the details from Luke. He recognized it as a type of portal though but was less familiar with its workings. Tracy texted the picture to Hezekiah. He was curious about the number of satellite dishes and glowing crystals that were linked to the portal.