Chapter 55

CHARACTER RUN DOWN:

Jonathan Mason - Older Brother of Alpha Jack Mason of the Cub Creek Pack. Mated to Tracy Mason, The Protector.  

Cathy Baines - Jordan's mother. Erik and Reilly's grandmother. Cheated on her mate, Joseph Baines, and was rejected. She used a potion to keep her mate from figuring out her sins.

Joseph Baines - Cathy's former mate. His second chance mate is Talia, Erik's former professor and current Beta for the Cedar Pine Pack.

David Rameeta - Challenged for position of Alpha. Gideon fought in Tracy's stead and won. He had convinced Crystal, Erik's mate at the time, to sleep with him and have a child. David later sold Crystal to Prince Grim to use her body as a replacement for Trish. He is a slippery little devil and is a procurer or the Red Tent (supernatural version of the Black Market).

CHAPTER 55

Bar near the Werewolf Council Headquarters...

The clicks of pools balls and strikes of the cue sticks melded with the general ruckus of the bar and grill that Jonathan waited in. Upon his arrival to the Werewolf Council Headquarters he didn't recognize any of the faces of the guards. No one took down his information and all he was told was that the Council wasn't seeing anyone at the moment. When he asked to wait the guards threatened to arrest him.

Years ago Jonathan had gone with Solomon to grab a bite to eat at a local pub while the Council took a break. Many of the secretaries and security members hung out there. Remembering the place, Jonathan decided to see if he could gather some intel. Strangely though. Other than one or two locals, not a single employee of the Council came in. The bartender, a werewolf who belonged to a local pack, mentioned that it had been "really quiet for a while now."

A familiar face walked in. Jonathan didn't know the person's name but the bartender greeted him as "Pauly." The man was one of the guards that Jonathan remembered from his many visits to the headquarters. Walking over to the booth where the man sat with his beer, Jonathan took the seat across from him. Pauly stiffened warily but acknowledged Jonathan with a nod and respectful, "Peacekeeper Mason."

"What is going on with the Council?" Jonathan asked without preamble.

The man looked around cautiously a moment before leaning forward, "I don't know. No one knows. Council Standish called my Alpha and said that all of the old guards were being let go except for the ones that were already there. Those guards were to stay at headquarters until a breach in security was resolved. The Council said it may take a few weeks and that no contact could be made due to security measures." the man said quietly, taking a sip from his beer. "Whole thing don't feel right though. I tried to go by to clear out my locker and there were a bunch of strangers there. They didn't look like regular guards. They looked like they were Elites or mercenaries cause they seem to be the straight out killer type. Real aggressive like they were. Gave me the willys."

Nodding, Jonathan stood and thanked the man. He told the bartender to put whatever the man drank that night on his tab. Leaving the pub, Jonathan knew that he needed answers.

-------------------

Jonathan waited until dark. Climbing on top of a storage building to look over the fence Jonathan saw a bunch of cars parked in the back. One he recognized as his friend's, Council Solomon Grey, vehicle.

A door opened and two werewolves dressed in black stepped out carrying a large bundle that looked like a body wrapped in black plastic. They put it in the trunk of a dark blue mercedes and drove it away. Jonathan took off his clothes and shifted into his wolf to follow the moving car. They drove about ten minutes into a dense forest. Reaching a cave they drove the car in carefully. Standing down wind, Jonathan waited. After a few minutes, the guards reappeared without the car. They removed their clothing and shifted before taking off in the direction of Council compound.