Chapter 26

Congratulations Richardson1235 contest winner!

CHAPTER 26

Homestead... (The Enemies Vantage Point)

It wouldn't be long now before they broke through to the other side of the tunnel. Trish was pissed that the weakling still hadn't killed his father, the Alpha. But she did gain some valuable information. The Alpha was sending a large number of his men to attack them. This would be perfect especially, since the Alpha King's son would be joining the attack. Which meant less guards at the portal.

The Wizard would wait for them on the other side after Absalom reanimated the corpses they had gathered. If it weren't for the fact that werewolves were more valuable alive, they would have used more of them instead of these puny human bodies.

So here they stood waiting for the right moment to head to the tunnel. The men showed up to fight as predicted though they did not see Barak or his men. The Protector was also missing.

"They must be planning a second attack." Absalom said as the pack members launched their surprised attack. "We have to go now!" he said leaping off the porch.

"Stop!" Prince Gairim commanded. "Stick with the plan and we'll meet you at the tunnel."

"Fine." Absalom said as he began to summon the power within. It was an absolute high to engage his gruesome gift. Throwing open the freezer doors he pushed through the boundaries of the spirit world to draw out violent spirits to fuel the bodies. Feeling the surge of orgasmic relief he knew that his creations would now awaken. A noise behind him drew his attention.

He smiled when he saw the woman behind him, "You're too late, Protector." he said.

His creatures shrieked announcing their presences. The ear piercing noise didn't affect him but the Protector had fallen. Deciding to let his corpses do their work, the Necromancer left the scene and headed to the tunnel entrance. Trish had looked back and saw that Tracy was fighting against the rising horde. She used her magic to throw a ball of lightning at the Protector before ducking into the tunnel with a malicious laugh filled glee.

Prince Gairim and Trish had set up all the explosives along the entrance and further back so that no one could follow. Absalom hit the start button as he grabbed a flashlight and ran down the narrow passage. After a time he heard the echoes of a loud blast and knew that the bombs did their job. Tensions mounted as he saw his companions standing in front of a rock wall. They were at the end of the tunnel and it wasn't opened nor was the Wizard anywhere in sight.

The air turned frigid as the vampire prince saw this betrayal.

-------------------

Tunnel... (Haggai's Vantage Point)

Haggai volunteered to make his way through the tunnel to the portal and take care of the guards. None trusted him but there wasn't much of a choice. Haggai gave them his oath that he would not double cross them because if the Protector and her allies had an option they would never consider releasing his love. All these millennia he was tired of being alone knowing that he had the power to free his Dellucy.

"Being noble." he snorted in disgust. "Was for fools."

And he had been foolish enough. When Shadow told him to escape with the man who came to free Asya. Haggai knew that it would mean giving up his love once again. This time he was no longer willing to sacrifice.

Reaching the end of the tunnel, he let his fox spirit rise. As a Wind Fox, he could use air like a sonogram to see what his eyes could not. A small opening near the end of the tunnel allowed air to flow into the shaft. Closing his eyes he allowed his mind to follow the slight breeze. The small hole led into a large passageway. The main way into the cavern containing the portal. Three guards stood watch.

Shifting quickly, he used his wizard power to make his clothes disappear. Squeezing his way through, Haggai came out on the other side. Conjuring his clothes onto his body, he used a trance spell to keep the guards from sounding an alarm.

Knowing that time was short, he quickly plunged through the opening of the portal while his fox begged him to reconsider.

The shifted figure moved stealthily though the shiny glittering otherworldly dimension. Chimes, bells, harps, flutes, and other such noises came from different stones of various colors and shapes. He searched about listening for the one sound that would summon an ancient connection to his ancestors. Many thousands of years before foxes held a musical quality that only they could hear. It was a treasure that would connect them to each other and to the foxes of the past.

When Haggai hid the Aqua Stone he placed the song within it as well. That's why only a fox could find it. But there was a price to pay for whoever took the stone would destroy that tune forever and the connection foxes held to the past.

"Dellucy would not have wanted this." his fox, Otto, pleaded.

"Then she can tell us herself when we see her."

Their heart rate spiked at the thought of being able to hold their love again after so long. Otto fell silent for a moment realizing that the temptation was too great and that the sacrifice would be worth it. The fox sighed and then tuned his ears to listen. Onward he pressed through the sparkling passageways. Frustrated at his inability to find what he sought, he used the air to hunt. Passage after passage until he caught a small piece of the sound. Quickly making his way down another hall the tune grew stronger.

He stared at the blue stone that gleamed brightly. Before his vision dance memories of so long ago when the fox kind was plentiful and they played and danced in the forests of different lands. Fire Foxes spun their magic flames, Ice Foxes would create frozen musical tunes, Wind Foxes would soar through the sky, and Earth Foxes would create their elaborate dens. They looked after each other and lived in peace.

Tears gathered in his eyes as he plucked the stone from it's resting place. The vision cleared and the music stopped. Otto whimpered as their connection with the past was broken. Quiet tears of sorrow flowed as a piece of their soul that was now lost forever.

Exiting the portal, Haggai saw that the guards were still under trance. Using his powers he disintegrated the wall behind them. The dark glares greeted him as well as an underlying sense of relief.

"You're welcome." he said casually.

"You asshole." Trish said stepping out. "Why didn't you kill the guards yet you incompetent fool!" she hissed raising her hands.

Haggai caught her wrist, "If you kill them then the Alpha and pack will sense the break and come to investigate."

"Is there a way out of here?" Absalom asked as Trish jerked her hand away from the Wizard like a petulant child.

"Through there." the Wizard replied nodding toward the main passage.

They sneaked out of the cave without raising alarm. Once clear, they headed to a local rental place to get a car.

Prince Gairim smiled. "Finally."

============================

So this was the last of the vantage points. 

Any thoughts on the story so far?