Prologue

It was odd. This little thing I thought only to have existed in the far past or even simply in children's stories, it truly existed. I sat curled up at my window in the middle of the night and glancing outside at the pouring rain hitting the window, wiping itself down the panes, a worn piece of parchment elegantly scribed with ink sitting in my fingers as the moonlight streamed through the clouds and droplets. I've always had a fascination with mythical stories and children's tales, such wonderous things created by the mind to entertain, but now I see, perfectly clearly, this world is just so different and unique that society had refused to accept it was real and began to pass it off as creatures and beings born of the mind to scare children into doing as they were told, or to encourage children to fantasise and have an imagination. Little did we all know that over millennia many people would adopt personalities representing these beings as well as their crafts, even trying to replicate such practices. A light knock sounded from my door and my thoughts were broken as I turned my head to the source.

"Come in." I stood up and settled the paper onto the cushions I had just been sat on before heading over to the door as it opened. when I saw who it was, I smiled softly. "Hello." There at my door was a boy who just lived down the country road I happened to live on. His name was Remus John Lupin and just prior to me receiving the letter behind me, this boy had told me all he knew about the fantastic world of Witchcraft and Wizardry, even to the extent of creatures and basic spells. He had told me this because he had seen me do mysterious things that could only be explained due to the use of magic. His hair was a sandy colour and sort of long, but curly too. It suited him perfectly, his sweet personality and faded honey blond hair, pale skin tainted by beautiful pink scars, one even crossing over his green eyes.

"Did you get one?" His expression showed he was clearly nervous for me to answer, but my smile remained and I nodded. His lips twitched into a smile. "You're going to Hogwarts? I'm not going to be alone?" I nodded, letting out a small laugh.

"You're not getting rid of me that easy, Moony."