8 | drinking games

drinking games by silver sphere

CW: Drug abuse, underage drinking 

Sage:

"What the hell is happening?" I ask Pansy as we quickly walk to wherever Draco is, enraged that my evening has been screwed up.

As much as I tolerate Draco he gets on my nerves so easily, especially since last summer. He gets so mad so easily and I don't totally blame him, his life is hard, for the most part.

But he doesn't know how to cope. And so he drinks and drinks and drinks, and then he fucks up, more than usual, and feels like a bigger fuck up for it.

Then the cycle begins again. I don't know what the hell has caused this recent outbreak. I know he hasn't been doing the best lately but I have no clue why, and I can't help him not anymore.

Not after last summer.

Charlotte and I had been friends since the first year, bonding over practically everything. That first summer she wrote a letter asking if she could stay for the majority of the summer.

We hadn't been friends for long and so I thought it was a bit odd but Mum said "the more the merrier". The whole time she kept in contact with Draco, writing him letters sometimes taking the train to the Malfoy Manor if only for a few days, until mid-summer she asked if he could come too.

We of course said yes because although Draco was never kind to me in the first year, we weren't total enemies like him and Harry. The years went on and they came more and more.

All of the summer and all of our other breaks. I loved seeing Charlotte, but at a very young age, I learned just how lucky I was that I had a family who loved me and to never feel the need to flee from home.

By the third year, the Malfoy Manor was practically a hotel for Deatheaters. Narcissa wrote Mum and Dad if they could stay whenever they weren't at Hogwarts, and they obviously said yes.

Even though Draco and Charlotte spent more time over the years at my house, Draco seemed to become even more of a dick to me at school.

He still picked on Ron, but the way he bullied me was like no other. I could never figure him out. Still can't.

Because he would make fun of me in public, or at Hogwarts, but the minute we were at the Burrow or alone together, we were best friends again, fallen back into our childish ways.

By the summer of fourth year, everything changed, and that is what our friend group calls "the mistake" no one talks about it, and if they do, it's just the "the mistake" or, "what happened last summer."

Sometimes I just wish they would say it. Say what actually happened and get over with it already.

"I'm really not sure, usually Astoria or I can calm him down or if that doesn't work Charlotte can almost always help. But nothing absolutely nothing, he's still probably wallowing up there." Pansy spits out

"Okay, I get that, I just don't understand why you need me? Especially since, well you know."

"I don't know Sage I really don't, it wasn't our intention to take you away from your date, but your name came up." Charlotte rushes out trying to explain further as we walk down into the dungeons.

"What do you mean my name came up?" I ask stunned, he hasn't so much as glanced at me in days.

"He sorta said your name when everything started, I don't know if it means anything but we thought it was worth a shot," Pansy says, continuing.

"Alright, yeah I'll try," I say walking down to the boy's dorms.

"Thank you!" Charlotte whispers.

I walk to his room and knock a few times.

"Fuck off!" I hear Draco say. I turn the nob but it doesn't budge.

"Alohomora," I whisper and turn the nob again. It opens this time and I walk in. A bottle is in his hands. While a blunt hangs from his lip, I'm glad that was all it was.

"I said sod off!" he shouts again as he pulls the smoke out of his mouth and looks up. "What the hell are you doing here?" I sit down next to him and take the bottle from his hands.

"Hey I need that" he slurs

"I think you've had enough. What's this all about D?"

"Don't call me that." I can tell I hit a nerve, but I'm not sure why, he's the one that caused all the ruckus with us. But I used to call him that, before everything, before he left.

"Talk to me today, and we don't have to talk ever again, okay? I know you want nothing to do with me, that's okay, just talk to me today. Please."

"You're so fucking stupid!"

"I'm sorry?" I say sarcastically.

"Merlin's Beard Sage, just leave, I'll sober up, just leave!" He spits at me.

"Draco just," I say reaching for his hand.

"Leave." and so I do. Because what else is there to do? He hasn't talked to me in months, why should he now?

I walk out of his dorm and down the hall into the common room. Charlotte looks up from chewing her nails.

"Is he alright? Is he a bit calmer? I'm going to talk to him."

"I mean I wouldn't say he's doing great but he said he's going to stop drinking ... for the night. He wouldn't really talk to me but I told him if he calmed down and stopped drinking I would leave, and so he stopped. I still don't know-" I cut off by Charlotte locking her arms around my shoulders.

"Thank you thank you thank you! I knew he would talk to you-" This time it's my turn to cut her off and I say.

"He didn't talk to me Charlotte, I mean you saw how long I was in there for. It wasn't long." She pulls back and looks at me.

"I suppose, but if he stops drinking for the night that's enough for me." I nod and start moving toward the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" Pansy says.

"To dinner, I'm starved."

"Oh yeah, alright let's go to dinner then." She links arms with me and wondering why she's acting so weird I look at her a second too long and she says

"What? Do I have something on my face?"

"No, sorry. How's June?"

"Can we not talk about it right now?" she sighs.

"Yeah, sure." We all walk the rest of the way in silence.