21 | i wanna go back

i wanna go back by the drums

CW: mentions of alcohol abuse

Charlotte:

Just a few more days till winter break, and then only a few days with mum and back at the burrow. I miss her so so much. We write letters constantly. But the last one has left me worried.

But no one else knows I talk to her. So it's not as if I can tell them about her weird behavior. It's not like I'm trying to keep secrets about her. But she's not exactly the model parent.

I love her so much and she cares about me and Draco too, but she also cares about Lucious. So she helps him, no matter the cost, and sometimes we get left behind. I wouldn't be surprised if she would even-. No, don't think that Charlotte.

She's fine, she's fine, we are all going to be just fine. Nonetheless, I reread her letter.

 Nonetheless, I reread her letter

It was just so odd. So scatterbrained and unlike her. The smudges the mess-ups. Everything. Still, I'm assuming she just says as she wrote.

She has something for us. Mum never was good with secrets so maybe it's some sort of surprise.

Some kind of party that she wants my friends to come to? I don't know but I don't care too much. I just can't wait to see her.

I can't think of anything else other to do than to pack. I take everything I need or want, as I'm closing the top I hear a soft knock.

I turn around to see my brother

"Draco, hi"

"What the hell are you doing?" He asks. Coming into my room and sitting on the edge of my bed in front of me.

"Well I got this letter from Mumsy and I just- well I've been so excited to see her during winter break, I know it's not for a few weeks but I miss her. I couldn't think of anything else to do."

"How many days?" he asks.

"Um I think just two, one for the ball and one for getting ready for the ball," I say laughing a bit at the end. He doesn't seem to find this amusing though, for his response is only a scoff.

"What's wrong Draco?"

"Nothing, sorry. Let's see what are you making this year?"

"I think you mean we" I retorted. He chuckles and opens the trunk up again.

It's become a tradition that we make something every day for however many days we are home during winter break. I always find a recipe in the library and then we all make it. Dad usually sits at the bar drinking Merlin knows what.

Draco and I try to bake and Mum fixes any of our mistakes. We listen to music and Mum takes turns dancing with each of us, or we all dance together.

When we were younger Dad danced with us too, but not anymore. On occasion, he'll lick a bit of the batter, but that's about it now.

"Pumpkin Pasties?" he questions.

"Yep, when I was looking through one of the recipe books I stumbled upon it and it dawned on me, in all these years not once have we made this classic."

"You're right, my god, we should be sent to Azkaban!" He teases.

"You love them as much as I do!" He nods his head and continues to look at the recipe. But at a certain point, I can tell he's no longer reading the recipe but his mind has wandered somewhere else.

"Draco what's wrong?" I ask as softly as I can though I'm sure I already know the answer.

"I fucked up Char." he lets out shakily as if he's been waiting to tell someone. I can only think of one response

"I know"

"Thanks," he says with a smile brightening up his sorrowful face. "She's so damn happy. I can't, it would be so bad, I couldn't make things better now." I wrap my arms around him. I love him so much, he's my other half.

"I know Draco, I know." I rub his back but I also know I can't make anything better. "You're okay, you're going to be okay." He nods repeatedly and lets out a sob.

"I want to go back."