22 | freaks

freaks by surf curse

Sage:

I want to go back.

"D stop! I can't keep running" I say exasperated

"Then I guess I'm going to get you!" and he does. He sprints behind me and picks me up by the waist twirling us around in a circle. "Told ya," he says while placing a wet kiss on my cheek.

I turn to kiss him back, the moon shining above us, trees swaying around us.

"That's not fair!" I protest still breathing heavily.

"How, hm?" he kisses me more, making his way down to my chin and jawline.

"I'm well, you're practically a a giant, you you're faster." I try to push out.

"Oh?" he asks, making his way further and further down.

"Yes, I want a retry, I fuck" I say as he kisses me on the neck in the most perfect way.

"Fine." He lets me go from his arms and I jolt away, faster faster faster. I shuffle through trees and brush. I look back and can't see him anywhere. I climb up a tree as fast as I can stumbling on a few latches.

I sit down and bunch myself as small as I can. I hear some branches snap and leaves ruffle.

"Sage" he calls. "I'm gonna get you." I smile to myself when he comes into view, but he still doesn't see me.

I shift myself and start to climb down the tree on the opposite side of him. But apparently, I make some noise because I slip and he catches me, quickly throwing me over his shoulder.

"D stop!"

"Nope, deals a deal, I caught you, I get to keep you." He starts tickling my stomach and I let out a very unattractive laugh.

"Okay fine but where are you going?" I ask since we are going the opposite way of the tree I was in. He flips me so that my legs wrap around his torso and my arms hold on to his shoulder.

I try to turn my head but he grabs my chin keeping me there. I give him the dirtiest look I can manage and before he can reply, I feel warm water all around me. My clothes stick to my body like honey and bread and my eyes close instinctively.

I come up for air and push my hair to the back. I had no idea we were this close to the river. He comes up seconds after me and smiles widely pushing his hair back too.

I jolt awake, my body is covered in sweat and my breathing is just as heavy as that night.

"Stop, stop, stop!" I shout. My hair clings to me and there is practically a waterfall coming down my face. I rapidly pull my legs up to my chest and my head in my hands. I can't breathe. I'm there again under the water.

This time I'm drowning, deeper and deeper. Never again, I will never go back. Warm arms surround me, and I just cry harder. I can't help it.

"Shh you're okay, I'm here, he's not, it's okay, you're okay." I hear Charlotte soothe me. I nod rapidly and she continues to coo at me. My breathing slows and my eyes open slowly. I turn back to her.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to wake anyone."

"You didn't wake me, remember you sleep in late, your roommate is already gone. What's her name again, Sally, Sammy?" She questions with a laugh

"Sammy" I choke out.

"Yes Sammy that's her name," she says and bumps herself in the head with the heel of her palm.

"Merlin I got you all sweaty," I say, totally embarrassed of my nightmare.

"Don't worry about it, I was on my way to the showers anyway."

"Okay okay good," I say nodding again.

"You're okay, Sage."

"Thank you, I'm gonna hop in the shower."

"Okay, I'm sorry."

"Not your fault Char, not your fault," I reply walking to my bathroom.

I set out clothes and grab a towel from a hook, and turn the nob. The water rushed down. I strip and step in. The water engulfs me like that night, warm and crisp at the same time. Comfort and sorrow wrapped up in one.

I wash every part of my body, every nook, and cranny trying to rub off the memories, trying to rub off him. After washing my hair I wrap myself in a towel, checking the time, and hurrying to get dressed and out the door.

A distraction is all you need. I remind myself.

My classes fly by and so does my homework. I end up alone with my thoughts and it all comes rushing in. Sprinting to the library, knowing my mind will stop when I get there. Until I bump into something, or rather someone.

"Hello, darling!" he says chuckling.

"Hi, sorry." I apologize for bumping into him.

"No need to apologize, are you okay?" He asks.

"Yes, fine, I just need to read."

"Do you want me to"

"No," I say, cutting him off, "Sorry, erm I just need to get out of my head." He nods and brings me to the side of the hallway. He opens his satchel and looks inside. He pulls out some contraption.

"Here," he says, handing it to me. I take it in my hands and then ask

"What is it?" he smiles and brings out another thing, this one is rectangular. He takes the other side of the contraption that has a metal part and sticks it in a hole on the side of the box.

He places the odd things over my ears and pushes a button. Music comes blasting through my ears. I shake them off and hand them back to him.

"Shit, sorry, I listen to it really loud. He turns a knob on the side and places them back over my ears, and presses the button again.

Pictures of You by The Cure starts playing. I smile at him and he lifts one side off my ear and says

"It's called a walkman, it's a muggle device."

"How do I not have one of these?" I question, pulling them down to my neck. He laughs and says

"Beats me. Still want to go to the library?"