34 | hope is dangerous

hope is a dangerous thing for a woman like me to have by lana del rey

CW: underage drinking

Sage:

The minute the glove is off, I'm greeted by an angry black mark and a flood of memories. My face falls and I try to put it back on, but it's no use, gasps are already heard from everywhere in the ballroom and before I can run away I see a dark figure approach me.

I'm being dragged away from the party and his nails dig into my arm as he rushes me away.

"Get your filthy hands off of me," I yell and yank his arm away from mine.

"What the hell was that?" He yells back

"I forgot," I say plainly because I did, I genuinely did. I always forget, I can never remember what I need to.

"You forgot? You fucking forgot? You can't just 'forget' this type of shit!" He yells directly into my face. I have absolutely nothing to say.

I never mean to forget these things, and it's not as though my arm hasn't been burning this whole time, but I must have mistaken it for literal heat. His face and voice soften as he looks down at me

"I know you forget things, I do. Merlin's beard I know you forget things." He takes a deep breath that gives me enough time to understand what he means but before I can question him he continues

"This is different though, they now know you're a death eater. They know that a Weasley is a death eater." I wince at his words "you're a death eater", I don't want this to be true, why can't this all just be a horrible nightmare. But instead of avoiding the truth I nod and try to change the subject

"I didn't forget you."

"That isn't- just- my mum will settle things, and we'll try to keep things from getting to your family. Keep the gloves on, okay Sage?" I cringe at his use of my name, I haven't heard him say it in such a long time and my subconscious mutters

Say it again, say it again

"So you didn't hear anything else." his head raises and his eyes darken slightly.

"I heard a bit."

"So you know, you know I didn't forget. I mean obviously, I forgot about the gloves, hence us being here in the first place, and I forget about any other things but well not- but you know I didn't know if you. Well I just wanted to make sure-" he cuts off my rambling and says coldly

"You're drunk, maybe that's what jolted your memory, you still forgot." He turns away and murmurs "Sober up."

"Draco please I didn't forget, how could I?" I question him as I reach for his hand. He turns back

"I don't blame you," he says dryly and starts walking away. Merlin's Beard he is difficult.

"Jesus fuck Draco! How the hell could I forget about you." I sigh "You know I have nightmares, how pathetic is that? I have fucking nightmares about you. Not anything you did, but everything you didn't do." my voice trails off as his face falls. I've said too much, I always say too much.

"I'm so sorry Sage." another wince "I never meant for any of this to happen."

"Obviously" I scoff and he chuckles a bit too.

"Bad choice of words."

"Very bad," I agree. I miss him, his voice, his presence as a whole. I miss my name on his lips and his hand in mine. "I think I'm going to head home early." I finally say, not because I want to but because I need to. I need to get out of here.

"No you aren't," he says.

"Excuse me?" I reply standing up as straight as I can.

"You're drunk and upset, and you at least need to sober up," he says. Dammit, why is he so rational?

"Fine," I say, sighing and sitting down on the small couch in the sitting room. "Just for a bit." He walks away but is soon back with a glass of water in hand and what looks to be a regeneration potion too.

"Drink." Much to my dismay I do, because if I want to get out of this hellhole I need to sober up. He sits next to me and my brain tells me he should go but the questionable part of me prays for him to stay.

He looks, well he looks fucking fantastic. He's in a dark black suit with green accents, and silver buttons. His hair is tousled but styled and he smells so, so good. Just how I remembered, just how he used to smell when I would lean into him.

Something in the back of my mind tells me that I shouldn't be ogling him, and I know it's right, but in my drunken haze, I can't seem to remember why.

When- when this gorgeous boy is right here, why I'm not-

Salazar Slytherin Sage! I gulp down the rest of my water as quickly as I can.

Sober up, that's all I need to do.

"I'll find somewhere to stay, over the rest of the break." I turn to him confused

"Why?"

"I assumed you didn't want me to stay," he says, watching me as he takes a sip of his own water.

"Why- why did you do what you did?" I choke out.

"I didn't see another option."

"Me, I was your other option. I thought things were good I thought-" my voice trails off as I try to find the right words. "Draco, I loved you." I can see the pain in his eyes at the use of the past tense.

"I love you, Sage, I'll always love you." and just like that I've fallen back under his spell, and my glass drops and my lips are on his.