Chapter 3

Owen

After Dr. Roberts walked out of the room with a smirk on his face, all we did was sit there with shocked faces. My brothers and I looked toward the chair at the head of the table, wondering if Phil was crazy. Is there really a person in the room? A bird? I think everyone was lost when Dr. Roberts stated that she was a girl. I looked around my family, and they looked back. Their eyes telling me to go check, of course they want me to do it. I got up from my seat and straightened my dark grey tie I wore with my black suit. Making sure I looked presentable to the new 'player' as Dr. Roberts put it. Why on earth would he think an all dog team needed help from one bird? Questions kept my mind wondering as I saw around the chair. A girl taking in a deep breath like she was gathering up some courage. I couldn't see her face well as her long blond brown hair kept her hidden. I held out my hand to start introducing myself, she must have not seen me at first, but saw my hand and placed hers into it. They were warm and soft as I shook it.

"Hello, I'm Mr.........shit", the moment she looked up, I saw the most beautiful eyes staring back at me. They held so much in them that I wanted to know it all.

There looked like a lavender grey tulip fading from the start of autumn. Her eye lashes were thick it looked like she was wearing mascara, but wasn't. She had a heart shaped face and small nose. Her cheeks had a tint on the from looking at me. She began to smile and small dimples popped out. It made my mouth go dry. It didn't help at all when she let out a giggle that did something to my insides. Only then I noticed I was still shaking her hand, I let go and try to form words. My brain seem to slowly function back, did I just call myself Mr.Shit? Shes probably wondering if that was my real name. I rushed out to correct myself.

"I- I mean...that's not,...m- my name isn't," why the hell am I stuttering?!! God, why cant I talk? I stood there with my mouth open thinking words will come themselves. I could hear snickering and snorts from my brothers as they seem to enjoy my embarrassment. Or how I'm losing my cool. 

"I'm Owen." The words finally came out. What?!!
"I mean I'm Blackbourne! I mean I'm Mr. Owen!" Focus man!!! " Just call me Owen," I mumbled. She still had that killer smile on her face but keeping her lips tight like she wanted to laugh again. I cleared my throat and straightened my tie again. I needed to get out of here. I felt my face heat up.

"Um, I need to go. I have some work that requires my attention. It's nice to meet you." I said trying not to rush it. I turned back towards the group and saw their shocked faces. I walked by them heading for the exit. Once I got out into the hall, I headed straight for the restroom.  I leaned my hands against the counter and took a lot of deep breaths to calm my racing heart. I looked up and saw my reflection in the mirror, my face flushed. This has never happened to me before.

Those eyes are gonna be  the death me. I'm debating if Sean should carry around a defibrillator if she's going to be helping us. Not just for my sake, but the others once they see why I made a fool of myself in front of them. Ugh, he's never gonna let me forget this. Hmm, wonder how his flirtatious mouth is doing now? I kinda want to go back in and watch my brothers reactions to the beautiful bird. I didn't even get her name! Stupid! I'll ask the guys later. I need to find Dr. Roberts and ask questions, I exited the men's room and called the hospital. He really is in surgery, shit. I'm going to have to wait.....in the car. Away from the siren that calls to my soul. Damn. How will this work?

__________________________________

Luke

As Dr. Roberts left, his smirk didn't go unnoticed. Being the one with more mischief, I was eager to find out who this girl was. Why would he think a bird can do something we can't, or tried already? All 14 of us looked at each other, wondering who should go first to meet the bird. We all agreed with our eyes Mr. B should go, it's only fitting for his status in the family. Axel seemed to let him take this one on himself. Mr. Blackbourne stood up and fixed his dumb tie and headed over. I sat up straight to the edge of my seat hoping I'll get to see her. Is she small? Or is the chair too big?