[7] The Great Queen || No Return (NSFW)

Summer [June] - Third Year of High School

Night before Summer Interhigh

Continued from Chapter 6

═══════♛═══════

I WAS HOME - at least in the emotional sense.

If anyone was to ever ask me when I was last truly happy, I'd probably think of this moment right now.

I could have happily spent eternity here, sitting in between his legs on the wooden floor of this dimly lit bedroom in the dead of night.

To be honest, I couldn't have cared less about the location. I felt safe.

The voices, the rumours and the thoughts that never seemed to leave me - they faded away.

Maybe it was the calming thud of his heartbeat against my back, a constant reminder that it beat for me...the warmth of his arms around my waist...the way his chin rested comfortably on my shoulder...how he languidly pressed the lightest kisses on my neck every so often...

It could have been any one of those things, a combination of them or even just his presence alone, I wasn't completely sure, but this moment...it felt magical.

I was inspired.

As Tooru remained transfixed on the volleyball game playing on the screen in front of us, I continued spilling my thoughts out in my notebook. We remained like that for hours into the night, simply basking in each other's company. For us, the world stood still.

With a gentle kiss to my temple, Tooru carefully untangled himself and walked over to where my open backpack lay on the bed.

A carefully procured selection of snacks and homemade goods spilled out, each one painstakingly chosen.

I'd learnt early on that Tooru had a sweet tooth, but also that his preferences changed as often as his mood. When he became stressed or busy with training, he had a tendency to forget to eat so I always made sure to bring a constant supply of healthy snacks, homemade bentos and protein bars for him at school.

'Hey baby, where's the milkbread?'

'I didn't buy any,' I answered, not looking up from my notebook.

My hair fell in a curtain across my face, hiding the small smile that arose at the mention of his all-time favourite food. Without fail, he begged me to bring him some every time I came over.

'You...you didn't? Oh.'

He sounded dejected, the disappointment and pain in his voice barely veiled.

'No...but I baked it. Check the container at the bottom, next to the meat buns. I used it to make the fruit sandwiches and steak sandwiches. There's also some strawberry jam and cinnamon to go with the slices,' I continued nonchalantly.

'...Will you marry me?'

'No.'

'You didn't have to answer so quickly! I might lose confidence, become afraid of women and live the rest of my days alone.'

'Somehow I highly doubt that,' I laughed, finally looking up at the boy sitting on the bed.

He looked so content, with a childlike look of awe as he pulled out each treat and examined it like a new treasure. The frustration and nervousness that lined his face earlier had faded.

 The frustration and nervousness that lined his face earlier had faded