1: Introductions

LilyPOV

"Oh my god," I heard Rachel say behind me.

"It's pretty," I told my sister.

"If you like things that are old and falling apart I guess you might think that."

"It's our house now. We'll fix it up. In a few months you won't recognize the place," I told her happily.

"I sure hope so." She shuddered.

It had only been a month since our mom passed away and when we were sorting out her will we found this old place she'd left to us. She'd gotten it from her father Jesse who'd given it to her when he died. Now we had it. Seeing as we had nowhere to go it seemed an old house in Bon Temps was the best place for us to be.

And the lack of vampire in Bon Temps is a plus too. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against vampire rights, I'm not one of those crazy religious people that want vampires to die, but if they want to stay out of my life well that's fine by me.

My sister Rachel, my twin sister, loves vampires. Not that she's ever met one, but she loves the idea of living forever, seeing the world and being powerful. Which is weird because she never read fantasy books as a kid, she told me that they were all fake and nothing like that could ever exist. Obviously she was wrong. I used to love stuff like that and I always wished things like fairies, witches, werewolves and vampires actually were real. And now that vampires are real I'm scared to death of them, while my sister who never believed in them loves them.

"Nothing happens in Bon Temps you know that right," Rachel told me as she lugged in another box.

"So?" I asked as I looked around.

"You are so lame." She sighed, "You know I could really use some help with these boxes."

"Be there in a second," I told her.

I looked outside, we had been here longer than I thought the sun had just set and it was getting really dark out. Then I heard a creak. "Rachel?" No answer. "Hello? Is anyone there?" Another noise and then a man walked around out of our kitchen and into the foyer to face me.

"Hello," he said calmly.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I live here."

"No, we live here."

"What's your name?" He asked.

"Lily."

"Lily?"

"Compton."

"Compton," I couldn't read his face which was unusual. What was even more unusual was when I finally let my guard down to peer inside his mind I got a brick wall. Rachel and I both could read minds, she could also see into the future. It wasn't an exact science but I'd never met someone I couldn't even get a flicker from. And then it was like magic I could hear him thinking about going to see a girl, and how he was worried about her. I could tell he really loved her and that she was human. I was surprised I could hear things. It was cloudy but it was something.

"Who are you?" I asked finally.

"Bill...Compton."

I gasped.

Just then I heard Rachel on the steps.

"What is it? Is it a spider? A rat? Oh my gosh if this house has rats..." She walked in. "Who are you? Lily, who is he?"

"He's a vampire," I said.

She gasped.

"And he's a Compton."