Another Romeo And Juliet

Odd Della Robbia Kadic Academy, ninth grade student

Tovah and I walked through the cold courtyard on a Saturday evening, we sipped at our hot chocolates that we had gotten from the cafe, it had all felt like a date except for the constant use of the word "Buddy" and "Friend" and "Pal", I looked up at the night sky and it reminded me of her, her freckles and her grey and brown hair, but she was standing next to me, so why did I need to be reminded of her?
"Hello?" She laughed, nudging me, "are you listening? I'm telling you something shocking," she said cocking her head to the side and stopping to throw away her lipstick-stained cup. "It's totally confusing, don't you think?" She asked as she shoved her hands in her pockets, her boots skidding back and forth on the asphalt. "Nevermind, I guess you wouldn't really care," she shrugged. "No, tell me again, I'm listening," I walked forward towards her. "Are you going to actually listen to me? If we're gonna be friends you have to listen," she sighed. "Sorry," I bit my lip. "My mind is in the clouds today, geography really-" she cut me off, "we don't take geography," I shook my head.
"Just the concept of geography," I stopped walking and thought about what I had just said.
"Just the concept of geography has really put your head somewhere else? Do you need to lay down?" She asked. "Um...you know what, I have to get to play rehearsal," I said. "Rehearsal doesn't start for thirty more minutes," she pulled her sleeve back looking at her watch. "Well I wanna prepare," I said as I started walking faster away towards the theater. "Okay, I'll see you there-" she said as I rounded the corner and went through the double doors.
William was sitting on the stage flipping through his script, "you're early," he frowned, "sad to see me?" I asked.
"I like to have alone time before rehearsal," I sat in the front row after grabbing my guitar "I'm just gonna tune this, ignore me," I said leaning over to look at the cords.
"So," he started. "Are you and Tovah going out still?" He asked pulling his knee to his chest.
"I thought you wanted silence," I gritted my teeth.
"Well, I was just wondering cause I didn't want you to get jealous since she was my Juliet in the play," he smiled reassuringly.
"What makes you think I would be jealous?" I asked as I stopped strumming. "Well, I don't know, there's a kissing scene and it's all very romantic, so if she were my girlfriend then I would be super jealous," he shrugged, "but I don't know, I'm just a bit of a romantic," he said abruptly and then went back to looking at his script. "Well, I'm not like you," I snapped.
"Hey, Odd, chill," he waved his hands in a sort of surrendering fashion. "Plus, we...kind of broke up," I sat back in my seat.
"Really? That's too bad, you guys seemed good together, you know if you wanted to get back together I could talk to her about you, get the scoop," he shrugged. I tapped my chin, wondering if I really needed Williams help to get Tovah back, "what would you -" we were interrupted as Sissi walked in.
"I know! I know I'm early, but I wanted to get the costumes done toda,  and as the director of this year's show I think that's important," she sai,  strutting down the aisle.
"What are you guys talking about?" She asked interrupting us again. "Oh, Odd and Tovah broke up," William offered. "Really?" Sissi asked. "She hasn't mentioned it to me," she said as she sat on the edge of the stage. "What happened?" I looked at her confused. "Are you and T even friends?" I asked. "Yes, in fact, we are, I just saw her and we planned to go to a movie after rehearsal," she said putting her nose in the air. "Some of us aren't elitists who only have four friends," she scoffed. "We actually get along very well," she crossed her arms. "So, why did she dump you?" She asked. "She didn't dump me, she just said she just wanted to be friends," I defended.

Tovah Pressman Kadic Academy Ninth grade student

I opened the double doors to the darkened school theater, I saw Sissi, William, Odd, Herb, Nicholas, Aelita, Yumi, Stacy, David, and Jeremy.  all putting things up on stage. "Sorry I'm late, my dad called me," I said sitting my bag down. "It's okay, we haven't started," Sissi said looking at her script. "Come with me, we're gonna try your costume on," she dragged me back to the costume shop and handed me a large corseted dress, "this looks like it might be too big for me," I said as I held it in my hands. "Just try it on, ask Aelita to help you, I have to give...hey! Don't touch that!" She said stomping away from me to tell off a stagehand. I took the dress and went to find Aelita, but couldn't find her, so I got Stacy instead.
"Stacy, could you help me get this dress on?" I asked politely. "Sure," she said as we went into the dressing room. "So," she said as she started tightening up the back of the too-big dress.
"Yes?" I asked. "Are you and Odd still together?" She asked. "No, why?" I asked. "Because I like him and always have," she said, tightening the dress even more. "Okay-" I gasped. "What does that have to do with me?" I asked.
"I want you to put in a good word for me!" She said, tying up the corset.
"What makes you think he'd listen to me?" I asked, turning around to look in the mirror.
"Because he still likes you," she smiled. "Okay?" I shook my head.
"I have a double date coming up this week, and I still need a date, so I need him to say yes," she smiled.
"So you do your magic," she shrugged, walking away.