Don't Let The Bed Barnes Bite

Lo-key enjoying this lol

combining two prompts to be TWICE AS PAINFUL!!!!!

TW.

i got courage. im allowing them to swear. not them as a whole tho, just sam. he gets the privilege.

* * *

Bucky knew he wasn't alright, because if Bucky is anything, it's smart. He knew that getting as little sleep as he was wasn't normal, nor was it healthy.

Yes, he knew it, but did he particularly care?

No.

Who do you think he was? Mr. Mental Health? No, he was Bucky Barnes, who, currently, was struggling to stay awake during a mission. A Very Important mission, to be exact. But hey, karma was mad at him for not sleeping enough.

Bucky stifled a yawn as the quinjet landed in a field. They were off to get one of the HYDRA bases that remained, and it was supposed to be an easy mission, but important nonetheless.

(I think we all know how that's gonna turn out, but I'll continue for those that don't.)

The team was him and Sam, along with Wanda.

They walked a substantial distance to where the base was, since they couldn't, unfortunately, land the jet in HYDRA's backyard. 

Bucky kept stumbling a bit, to the point where Sam spoke up.

"You okay, man? Do you wanna sit this one out?"

Bucky rolled his eyes. "I'm fine, chicken wing. Let's just hurry up and get it over with." Mentally, however, everything in him screamed to sit it out, but he couldn't. He wouldn't let HYDRA win. He wouldn't admit how much they had defeated him.

The mission went fine, and they were nearly done when another wave of soldiers came up from, conceivably, nowhere.

"How many?" Wanda yelled to Sam via the comms, who was flying above them.

"A lot! Too many, get out of there! Asap!" He screamed back, swooping down to pick off a few.

Bucky thought for a moment amidst the noise of guns, running on adrenaline and caffeine. "Hey, Sam, how much weight can your wings hold?"

"Enough," Sam responded warily, "Why?"

"Grab Wanda and bring her to the jet, I'll get back by myself or you can come get me. Since she can't fly on her own yet, it'll be quicker and safer."

"Not for you!"

"Yeah, and?"

"I'm not leaving you, you big dumb kamikaze. You've got one singular gun and Wanda has epic powers. She can hold her own better than you can, especially with this many against you." Sam argued.

Bucky caught sight of more soldiers. "No time to decide!" He shouted, "Get Wanda, now!"

Reluctantly, Sam soared past and plucked Wanda off of the ground, flying towards the jet. Bucky felt the breeze from it flutter through his hair, and time seemed to still for a moment as he watched Sam become nothing but a speck in the distance.

Then, roughly, Bucky was pulled back into the present. 

The present, where he was fighting for his life.

He held his own for a while, but soon he realized that he couldn't hold on much longer. Right after the realization, his shoulder flared up and felt as if someone had released a firecracker directly into it.