True Friends

"Just found out yesterday i'm flying to New Orleans like two days after Dianna leaves." I say closing the fridge with my butt. Dakota nearly drops the carrot from her mouth.

"Bitch, for what?" I set the ingredients for dinner down on the counter and simply shrug my shoulders. "They can't do that shit here?"

"Woah, the hostility. Why are you so angry?" I try to open the pickle jar but fail.

"Because who am I supposed to hang out with? Dianna is in New York, I have literally no other friends."

"Dakota, you have plenty of other friends." Continuing to work on this pickle jar the woman finally snatches it from my hands.

"None of them like you, where I can just show up at their house and eat pickles and carrots." Opening up the jar she hands it back to me.

"It'll only be for a week or two, you'll survive." I pop a pickle slice in my mouth and look over at the woman who was giving me the biggest scowl I had ever seen.

"How long until Dianna gets here?"

"Three days, I have to pick her up at the airport at like 2am."

"Disgusting."

Later that night, after Dakota had left and the sun was just starting to set. I sat alone on my couch, watching Law and Order reruns and going through my script.

My phone buzzed on the couch beside me.

Lily Rabe
Babes, you wanna come
over and watch the sunset?

Me
I'd love to,
be by soon

Lily Rabe
😘😘

We sat outside on her backyard patio, chatting over a bottle of rosè and a box of triscuits...when she said she had literally no food in her house I definitely should've believed her.

"Ready for New Orleans?" She asks, wrapping her cardigan tighter around her body.

"I am actually, i'm excited. I haven't been to Orleans since I was a kid."

"Oh, did you guys go there a lot?"

"My Grandma on my Dads side lived there so I spent a few summers there when I was little." I say nodding with a smile, recalling the fond memories I had sitting with her on her balcony, clutching to the railing on her lap and listening to the smooth sounds of jazz fill my tiny four year old ears.

I often look back on those times and think that those nights on the balcony are the main reason I was able to sing from such a young age.

It was all Grandma Edie, and all of her jazz loving glory.

"That's so sweet, is she still with us?"

"No she uh died the same year I won my Tony, just a few weeks after actually." I brush my hair behind my ear looking out to the sunset.

"I can't even imagine how proud of you she was." She reaches her hand across the table placing it gently ontop of mine.

I look over at her and see the true care and compassion in her eyes.

Even though it had only been a month and a half since Lily and I first met, she's easily become one of my closest friends. And i'm so, so lucky to have her.

liked by pillypie, diannagaron and 383,294 others

scoutmonroe: Watching sunsets and drinking rosè with the one and only @pillypie

view all comments

pillypie: Don't forget the eating stale triscuits, we did that too!

pillypie: ❤️ you times infinity

Authors Note:
Be prepared bitches, it's about to get intense😬