Ready or Not

"Oh my god, I did not want to be doing this so soon." I say with a sigh, sitting on the floor of my closet and frantically shuffling through all of my clothes.

"How about this? Stay or take?" Lily asks standing in the doorway, holding a few picture frames filled with memories.

Dakota and I under the eiffel tower from our trip around Europe a few years back, a selfie from set with the whole cast from Coven, and last but certainly not least, a picture of Grandma Edie's house in New Orleans.

"Just leave them here, I'll get new prints made." She smiles walking away, but quickly returning and sitting down beside me on the floor.

"You alright there, kid?"

"Yeah, i'm just so over moving around. That's literally all I did as a kid and I was looking forward to sitting in one space for awhile."

"I understand that but think of the bright side," She wraps her arms around me as my head falls to her shoulder. "you're the lead of your very own Broadway show Scout. And even though you're moving across the country we will be there with you every step of the way. Especially me, because I just got you and there is no way in hell i'm letting you go so easily."

I couldn't help but smile.

Lily always knows the right thing to say.

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Okay."

_______________________________

"Honey." Sarah calls into the house, hearing her steps come closer but suddenly stop. "What are you doing?" She asks, obviously stifling a laugh.

I turn around a large smile on my face. "Cleansing the energy."

"By dancing like a maniac with no pants on in the middle of your living room?"

"Don't tell me how to hippie." She holds her hands up in defense, walking to the couch and sitting down. Watching me closely, laughing to herself every once in a while, the smile never leaving her face.

Once the song ends I fall down on the couch next to her. She presses a sweet kiss to my lips, I nestle close into her side. "Can't believe tomorrow is the big day." I say quietly into the silence.

"I don't even want to think about it."

"At least you and Lily coming with me for a few days, so it's really not goodbye quite yet."

"I never want to say goodbye to you, Scout." I lift my head up from her chest, looking deep into her glassy eyes. "It just seems so final when we say goodbye. Last time we said goodbye I nearly lost my mind."

"So, we won't say goodbye."

"What will we say then?"

"I'm not sure," I let head lay softly on her shoulder. "but we'll figure something out."

"We always do." She says sweetly, pressing a kiss to the top of my head.

"Wanna go get naked?"

"Uh, do you even have to ask?"

_______________________________

liked by mssarahcatharinepaulson, diannaagron and 194,724 others

scoutmonroe: Until we meet again my dear Los Angeles, until we meet again <3

view all comments

pillypie22: Why are you always so poetic and wise? You're like an owl

scoutmonroe: pillypie22 Tis one of my many gifts🦉

_______________________________

"Got everything?" My Mother asks, her hands giving my shoulders a tight squeeze as I stand in the doorway of the house.

"I think so."

"You'll be fine, you always are."

"I know, it's just—this is my first house."

"I know, I know." She reassures, wrapping her arms around my side. "But, New York is you're next journey my love and she'll be here when you get back."

It's in this moment I realize what we were truly talking about.

It's not that I didn't want to leave my house behind, I didn't want to leave Sarah behind.

"Are you sure?"

"You are apart of her, and she is apart of you. No amount of miles or space in between the two of you could ever change that."

"Baby, the car is ready." My Father calls from behind us.

I turn and look down at my Mother, who holds her hand out to me. Walking out of that door, my hand intertwines with my Mothers, I stepped into my next journey; the next chapter of my life.

"You ready?" Sarah asks, leaning up against the car with Lily standing by her side.

"Yeah, yeah i'm ready."