Cute

"This place really is cute, Scout. You did a good job." Lily says as the rather eventful day comes to a close. The three of us sit alone in my living room, a few straggling boxes scattered throughout the space.

The only light source being from the crackling fireplace a few feet ahead.

"Well it definitely wouldn't have come together as quickly without you guys, so thank you." Holding my glass up, the two of them connect theirs to mine in a series of clinks.

"Rehearsal starts when?" Sarah asks, her free hand laying softly on my leg underneath the fuzzy blanket that spread across our legs.

"Two days, just a few hours after you guys leave actually is when I have my first table read." She nods.

"Nervous?" Lily asks, nudging me softly with her elbow and looking over at me with a cheeky smile.

"No, no not really." Her eyebrows raise as she takes a sip from her glass. "The stage is where it all started for me so it's nothing to really be nervous about." I shrug it off.

She smiles over at me. "I'm so happy I know you Scout, truly. You're the bestest friend I could ever ask for."

Holding up her hand to me, we interlock our pinkies and take sips out of our respective glasses. Sarah simply watched with a small smile on her lips.

"And I feel the same way about you Lily Rabe, all of it and more."

"Well on that note, i'm heading to bed." She announces after a few moments of silence, pushing herself off the couch and heading down the long corridor to the bedroom down the hall. "See you lesbians in the morning."

"I'm happy you guys are so close, you're like the perfect little piece for our horror story family." I let me head fall to her shoulder as I nestle further into her side.

"You're my perfect piece Sarah."

________________________________

"Opening night is in 12 weeks on the dot," I say adding a few packets of sugar to the mug sitting on the table in front of me. "why don't you check in with Dakota and see when she plans on flying out so maybe you all can just get a plane?"

"Wait, that's smart." Lily says. The hustle and bustle of the crowded coffee shop flows around us.

"And your parents are coming, correct?" Sarah asks turning to me, I nod stirring the cup. "I'll call your Mom and see where they plan on sitting then."

Pressing the cup to my lips, I hear a loud voice speak through all the chatter; a voice I had not heard in a very long time.

"Holy shit, Scout, is that you?" The porcelain mug dropped from my hand, shattering against the brick street beneath my feet.

"Elizabeth," I stand up quickly, turning around to face the woman. "holy hell, how are you?" I ask as she pulls me in for a quick hug.

"I'm doing well, you know same old same old." Pulling away she holds my hands out, looking at my body up and down with a large smile. "You look amazing, how are you doing?"

"I'm doing alright, just moved back from LA."

"Right. You signed onto that new show that's going in the Neil Simon?"

"That I did, yes." Staring at her, it felt like a dream; maybe even a nightmare. Hearing a voice from behind us it quickly snaps me back into reality.

"Liz, this is Sarah Paulson my girlfriend and my close friend, Lily Rabe." I say motioning to the sitting women at the table behind us.

Liz shakes their hands with a bright smile. "And ladies, this is Liz Gillies my uh— ex girlfriend."

"Pleasure to meet you, Liz." Lily speaks from across the table, a bright Lily smile on her face.

"You as well. But Bird, tell me about LA, how is the television buisness treating you?" The nickname sends chills down my back.

As we catch up, Sarah's smile never drops or fades. She genuinely looks intrigued with how I interact with Liz.

A few moments after Liz leaves and continues on her journey through the city, I sit in awkward silence with the two women.

"That was unexpected."

"Yeah, you can say that again."

"Bird?" Sarah speaks up, her arms crossed over her chest she looks over at me, the smile from before is long gone.

"Huh?"

"She called you bird."

"Oh, it's just a stupid nickname she gave me from when we were dating. I don't know why she still uses it."

"What does it mean?" She presses.

"Well, my parents named me Scout after Scout Finch from To Kill a Mockingbird, and Finches are birds— so she calls me bird." She nods, her eyes never leaving mine as she lifts the water glass up to her lips and takes a sip.

"Cute."

Authors Note:

Hey guys, I hope you had a wonderful Thursday!!

I just posted a new gif/imagine book centered around middle aged actresses (Cate Blanchett, Paget Brewster, Sarah Paulson, Sandra Bullock etc.) so if you guys want an easy quick read you should def go check it out.

I'll be updating it daily

You guys are cool, get ready for some drama 👀