Our Song

"God," I say opening up the large framed window of the overly expensive hotel room. "I fucking love this city."

She laughs behind me, wrapping her arms around my waist slowly and pressing a kiss to the back of my neck, relaxing against my body as the beautiful stinky air of the city fills my lungs.

"You really thrive in this place, don't you?"

"I just forget how much I miss it until i'm away for awhile."

My phone rings from inside the room, pulling out of her grasp I walk towards the bed and pick the buzzing device up into my hands.

Dakota Johnson is calling...

"Dakota! I haven't even been in New York for an hour and you're already bugging me."

"Oh shut up, I just wanted to check in and see how you were doing?"

"It's been nine hours since I last saw you, how much different could I be doing?" I sit down on the edge of the bed, looking up at Sarah who wears a small smile as she sinks down in the chair in the corner.

"Will you just be nice to me for once? Dianna is apparently too cool for me now, and Lily is off with Hamish today and I just- I miss you...already."

My heart nearly explodes. Dakota is never this mushy with anyone, let alone me.

We became friends during an extremely intense game of beer pong in which the trash talk got real intense, real fast.

And it's been the same deal ever since.

"I miss you too Dakota, you should've come. I told you to come-"

"I know, I know but I didn't want to disrupt your romantic getaway with Sarah."

"You wouldn't have disrupted anything-"

"Shit hold on, I gotta go, I'll call you later." And just like that she hung up.

"She gives me a headache."

_________________________________

"I'll give you guys a few minutes too look around." The realtor says with a smile as she gestures to the apartment.

"What do you think, honey?" Sarah asks looking over at my wide eyed gaze and slack jaw.

"I think this is definitely the one, with a fresh coat of paint and some furnishing magic, I really think I could call this place home."

She looks over at me with a bright smile. I know she's happy for me, she's happy I'm happy, but I also know the idea of us living on opposite sides of the country is slowly crushing her.

I can see it in her eyes when she smiles at me. The little sparkle she used to have is slowly dimming.

_________________________________

Once we get back to the hotel, I can tell that she's not feeling like herself. She sits on the edge of the bed, a large sigh escaping her lips as her head falls into her hands.

"What's going on?" I ask sitting next to her, my hand rubbing small circles on her back. She just shakes her head.

"Nothing, nothing i'm just processing you moving across the country." She looks up and shows me a small smile.

"It's a big change, I know. But good news is you can always come visit me." I press a kiss to the side of her head. She leans her head on my shoulder as I wrap my arms tightly around her small frame.

"I know."

"You wanna get going to dinner?"

"In a while, I just want to sit in this space with you for a bit." I giggle, pressing another kiss to the top of her head, feeling her sink further into my side.

"You want to dance?" I say after a few moments of silence. "Dancing makes everything better."

"I always want to dance." She mocks my words from the other night, standing up from the bed I quickly take my phone out from my back pocket, playing La Vie En Rose by Louis Armstrong.

I watch as the smile creeps across her face, taking her hand into mine and pulling her close against my body, we sway slowly together.

"This song played that night in New Orleans, didn't it?" I hum a response.

The city lights twinkling outside the window and the distant sounds of car horns bouncing off the buildings.

"This is the second time we've danced in the last two days you know."

"I know," I say with a small smile. "I can't help it, I love dancing with you."

"I love everything with you."