'The Worst Day Ever'

"This is already the worst day ever." I say honestly into the microphone dangling on my headphone wires. Taking a step off the stairs and directly into a giant, muddy, slushy puddle.

Dakota laughs from the other side of the line. "Don't laugh at me, asshole."

"No, not it's not you. I just heard the splash and it made me giggle." I laugh at her small giggles, rolling my eyes as I shake off the excess water from my foot. "How are you doing other than your sopping wet foot, babes?"

"Fine considering I haven't spoken to Sarah since our conversation a few days ago and i'm going to get some weird sewer water foot disease soon." My foot squeaks with each step, little puddles of water dripping out and onto the concreate below each time I stop at a corner.

"Do you need me to fly over there? Because i'll be on the next flight-"

"No, Dakota, I'll be fine. My parents are in town and i'm not that pathetic."

"Mhm, well just call me if you need me, okay?"

"Always."

_________________________________

Me
I miss you

Lily Rabe
I miss you too, sweets

Lily Rabe
You doing alright?

Me
This has been
the worst day ever

Me
But yes, i'm just fine
and dandy

Lily Rabe
Dakota told me
about your puddle
situation this morning

Lily Rabe
But, only a month left
until I get to squeeze you again😉

Me
Counting the minutes😘

_________________________________

I opened up the doors in the freezing cold apartment, completely darkened by the early setting sun. Kicking my sopping wet shoes off, I trudge my sorry self over to the fireplace.

A while later, the fire place is cracking, the wine has been opened and the records have been put on.

The soft sounds of Fleetwood Mac flow through the apartment space as I lay my soacking wet socks on the edge of the fireplace in hopes they'd eventually dry off.

I paced around the house for a while, unaware of the fact that I was pacing. Holding my phone in one hand and my glass of wine in the other.

Do I call? No, I don't call, I made my point clear. But what if i'm being over dramatic? She said what she said, I was not being over dramatic. I wonder if she's thinking about me.

Was that really it?

God, it's been two days but it feels like it's been years since last spoke. I sigh loudly, looking out the large windows to the bright lights of the city.

Making my way back into the living room, and falling onto the couch beside the roaring fireplace I pull a blanket over my exhausted body.

Letting sleep take over my body for what seemed like the first time in forever.

A knock sounds at the door, waking me immediately up from the middle of my nap. The room was dark now, only a few crackling embers left in the fireplace.

I shuffled up off the couch and over to the lamp beside the couch quickly before adjusting my discombobulated outfit and making my way towards the knocking door.

I didn't even bother to look through the peephole before swinging the door blindly open. Raising my eyes along their body I feel my heart drop.

"Sarah?"

"Hey there."

"You said — what are - I don't understand." She smiles brightly from across the door frame, her eyes twinkling the hallway light.

"I moved to New York."

"You moved to New York?"

"I moved to New York."