Chapter 15 - Starting Over Again Part 1

(Y/n Pov)

For the past few days we have been here, Subaru has been acting strange lately. He avoided me sometimes when he could, and whenever he saw me, his eyes would immediately be filled with guilt as he looked away from my sight.

I became somewhat nervous and a little bit guilty. Did I do something wrong? I can't remember that I have done something that could make him look at me that way before.

So, I asked the others why he was avoiding me. And they also said that they don't know why he did it, but when he first woke up, he immediately screamed when he saw Rem and Ram.

Rem: "Do you know the reason, sir?"

Ram: "Yes, if there's anything we did wrong, we apologize."

Y/n: "There's nothing you both did wrong. I think it might be caused due to the loot house event."

For now, it would be best to cover up his suspicious behavior. I don't want him and the maids to have a bad relationship with each other.

It was not until the fourth day that Subaru came to me.

Subaru: "Y/n. I have something to talk to you about."

I don't know what his intention was, but looking at how he was breathing, I must assume that he has been running around the mansion to find me.

Y/n: "What is it, Subaru?"

Subaru: "Can you come to the library?"

Feeling a little bit suspicious, I nodded anyway. I followed him from behind where he looked around at random doors before opening one of them, revealing Beatrice's forbidden library.

Beatrice: "You're here earlier than expected."

Subaru: "Sorry, but could you also make a contract with Y/n?"

This made her eyes widen. Even I did it too. What is this guy talking about? Making a spirit contract with Beatrice all of sudden?

I looked over and saw that Beatrice was thinking of something.

Beatrice: "Why do you want me to make a contract with him? It isn't like he's in any danger in the mansion, I suppose."

Subaru: "Maybe... But in the future, he might be."

He looked so... Determined yet so nervous at the same time. Beatrice looked in my direction as both of our eyes met. She let out a sigh and closed her eyes.

Beatrice: "Fine. I guess I can form another contract, but I will have to adjust some conditions. Come here, I suppose."

I walked over to her as she grabbed one of my hands and connected them.

Beatrice: "I shall grant your wish. I, Beatrice, on my honor, am henceforth bound by this contract. Temporary or not, a contract is a contract."

I felt something changed within me. Must be because of her, I guess.

Y/n: "Hey, Subaru-"

Turning around, I saw no one. In fact, did he just leave me here while Beatrice made a contract with me?

That guy... He is so weird today! Not only did he avoid me for the past few days, but he also left me with her while we were making a contract. I was about to leave when Beatrice stopped me.

Beatrice: "Wait."

Y/n: "What is it, Beatrice?"

Beatrice: "That guy told me to keep an eye on you after we have made a contract. Also, that you should stay here for tonight."