Chapter 23 - End of the Rescue

(Third Person Pov)

Y/n, who had lost consciousness, stood inside a dark space. Feeling confused, he walked and walked until an hour had passed, yet he still hasn't found anything but darkness.

'That's weird,' he thought to himself. Despite knowing that it won't lead him anywhere, he still kept walking. It was the only thing he could do and nothing else.

After a while, he finally saw a small light. Smiling at the sight, he increased his pace and kept walking faster until he started running. The light grew brighter and brighter as he was close to it.

But suddenly, the light became dimmer, causing him to become more desperate to reach for the light.

At the last moment, he saw a shadowy figure standing in the light. It felt like his mind was playing with him, but he swore that he saw the person was looking at him. A smile formed on their face.

Y/n: "Who are you-"

He didn't manage to finish his sentence before he returned to reality. He woke up and found out that he was being carried by someone and that it was night.

Ram: "Barusu, head to the right of that broken tree ahead! You're too slow!"

Subaru: "Don't ask any more of me... I'm running... as fast as I can!"

Rem: "Subaru-kun... What..."

Subaru: "You're awake, Rem?"

Y/n: "Me, too."

Subaru: "And you too, Y/n!"

Y/n: "That's what I just said."

He looked around and found out that they were still inside the forest. Ram was carrying him while Subaru was carrying Rem. It was due to how light Y/n compared to the others.

Ram: "Thank goodness, Rem. You really are a handful. You too, Y/n."

A mabeast noticed them and was running their way. Noticing this, Ram immediately killed it by using her spell. They headed the other way it came from, trying to avoid the rest of the pack as much as possible.

***

They took a break inside the bush, gasping for air as much as they could. They had been running and escaping from those mabeasts for hours. It was tiring them out.

Rem: "Why... Why didn't you just leave me alone? For you, sister and Y/n to show up makes it all pointless. I have to do it by myself. No one else needs to get hurt anymore..."

Subaru: "Too late for that. Ram and I are already torn to shreds, maybe even more than you! My right shoulder is dislocated!"

Y/n: "Huh? Want me to check it out?"

Ram: "You shouldn't... It would just drain your gate and increase the chance of damaging your gate."

Rem: "It's... It's my fault. So I have to take responsibility. If I don't, I can't do anything for Sister or you... I haven't changed at all. I committed the same sin I did back then!"

She said as tears started to fall from her eyes. They couldn't see it due to her hair blocking the view.

Rem: "Because I hesitated to extend my hand to you... You nearly died."

Y/n: "Rem... It wasn't your fault. In the first place, we were the ones who dragged you with us. You helped us even though it was dangerous, thank you for that. But you know..."