Chapter 13. II

The sun sank lower in the sky, the sound of silence on a starry night interrupted by soft music playing from the royal gathering

The Pevensies moved around greeting everyone present, Susan being more popular among the men than the rest.

Peter stood next to Edmund, watching the crowd, his eyes darting from one corner of the room to the other.

"Peter, you need to calm down. Aria always turns up late, you know".

Peter sighed, shaking his head.
"I know. But the number of people who wouldn't stop talking about her umnerves me".

Edmund chuckled, nodding in agreement.
"Well she is a really great warrior and extremely beautiful".

Peter smiled, although his toes tapped a staccato rhythm as he waited.

As if there was a sudden shift in the air, the king looked to the entrance, his eyes lighting up at the girl who just appeared in the room.

Men and women turned to greet the new arrival, eyes turning to focus on her from all corners of the room.

Dressed in a floor length dress, approved personally by Susan herself - the colour of carnations never looked so beautiful on a woman.

With neat black hair and her head held high, Aria walked in with an effortless saunter.

Aria wasn't beautiful in the classical way, no flowing golden curls or ivory skin; no piercing eyes of green.
She was shorter than average and certainly larger than a catwalk model, but in her ordinariness she was stunning.

Something radiated from within that rendered her irresistible to both genders.

The girl smiled softly as she conversed with those who attempted small talk.

Her eyes scanned the room with determination in search of someone.

When her eyes met Peter's she smiled.

Aria made her way towards him in a hurry, politely declining those who asked to dance.

She found herself facing Peter, cocking her head in wonder as he stayed unmoving.

"Are you just going to stand there and gawk?".

"Yes".

"Well, you need to stop. You look like a complete nutter", Aria chuckled, grabbing the arm Peter offered as they moved away from the eyes that watched them.

"You've grown to be a great king", Aria stated, as the two walked out into a balcony - the place where the Pevensies and Aria would go to get away from the festivities.
"Narnians must be honoured to have you and your siblings".

Peter sighed, leaning against the railing. "It would be better if you were there too".

Aria shook her head. "I told you before. It's not for me. I'm not royalty material".

"There's no such thing".

"It is for me. And it's alright. I love what I do now. Being the general is much more", Aria smiled, "me".

Peter chuckled. "I won't disagree to that".

Aria smiled, taking Peter's hands in hers.
"I loved every moment with you".

Her eyes widened and she looked to the sea with a nervous chuckle.
"Loved every moment with you and your siblings ofcourse. You gave me a family".

Peter smiled and moved closer to her, squeezing her hand.
"I can assure you are more than just family. We'll always be there for you".

"I know".
Aria smiled, turning to face the soft sea breeze as it sent shivers through her body.

Peter sighed, bringing Aria to face him.
"Aria, I was a flipping coward last time and I don't want put it off any more".

The said girl looked at the boy, urging him to continue.

"You are really beautiful. You are beautiful everyday and every moment. You are kind, passionate and you just make me go absolutely ballistic when I think of you", Peter chuckled, gripping Aria's hands tight as she smiled.

Peter inhaled a deep breath and blew out slowly. "You are especially breath-takingly beautiful tonight and I'm completely, undeniably in love with you".

Aria's breath hitched in her throat and her gaze fell to their hands.
She could feel her heart running mad and the heat rising in her cheeks.

Aria shifted her gaze to Peter, her eyes seeming to shine despite being turned away from the light and Peter felt like he was holding his breath.

When she smiled, he let it go, a strange ease settling over him as he smiled back, his eyes locked onto her own.

"Peter", she whispered, chuckling softly.
"You dimwit, I love you".

The boy tittered, his smile growing wider.
Peter leaned in, so carefully. Breathing and not breathing and hearts beating between them.

He was so close that she couldn't feel her legs anymore, couldn't feel the cold around her cause all she felt was him, everywhere, filling everything and he whispered.
"Aria", he said.

"I love you".

And he kissed her.