Chapter 22

A twig snapped.

Lucy's eyes snapped open at the sound.

She looked over at her sister, who was still asleep.

"Susan, wake up", Lucy whispered.

"Certainly Lu. Whatever you like", Susan mumbled in her sleep, snuggling deeper into her slumber.

Lucy frowned and looked around the camp.

A growl sounded in the distance and her head shot towards the direction of the sound.

She walked into the woods, her eyes looking out for the lion.

"Aslan?", Lucy called out.

Before the girl could get a glimpse of the creature, a palm slapped over her mouth and she was dragged behind a bush.

Lucy struggled in the man's grip but when her eyes met familiar blue ones, she instantly calmed down.

Peter signaled her to remain quiet and the two siblings looked over to see the source of the growl.

A minotaur.

Peter motioned her to stay hidden as he drew his sword.

He approached the minotaur from behind.

Before he could land his hit on the creature, a second sword collided with his.

Peter was pushed back by his attacker, a boy not much older than he was.

The two swung their swords, each of them fighting off what they believed to be an enemy.

Peter swung his sword but missed, managing to get the blade stuck in a tree.

The dark-haired boy took advantage of the opening and kicked Peter to the ground.

The High king grabbed a rock off the ground ready to hurl it at the boy as the other dislodged the sword from the tree.

"Stop!", a female voice called out and the two boys froze.

Lucy ran out from where she was hiding, worry etched on her face.

Peter looked around as Narnians appeared before them.
He stood straighter and eyed the boy who held his sword.

"Prince Caspian?".

The other boy, Caspian narrowed his eyes, pointing the sword at the boy.
"Yes. And who are you?".

"Peter!", Susan called out, running into the clearing with Edmund and Trumpkin.

Caspian looked towards the new arrivals and then to the hilt of the sword he was holding.

He looked back at Peter with uncertainty.
"High King Peter?".

The said boy nodded.
"I believe you called".

"Well yes. But I thought you'd be older", Caspian admitted, watching the children with surprise.

Peter smirked.
"Well, if you'd like, we can come back in a few years", the boy retorted.

Caspian shook his head.

"No! That's alright", he exclaimed. "You're just not exactly what I expected".

He eyed the siblings, his gaze resting on a certain Pevensie longer than the others.

"Neither are you", Edmund commented, his eyes landing on a minotaur.

"A common enemy unites even the oldest of foes", Trufflehunter spoke up, motioning to the Narnians that surrounded them.

Reepicheep approached the high king. "We have anxiously awaited your return, my liege", he said. "Our hearts and swords are at your service".

The mouse bowed to the high king in respect.

"We have been acquiring weapons for your army, sire", he added.

Peter smiled at the mouse before looking to Caspian.
"Good. Because we're going to need every sword we can get".

Caspian held out Peter's sword.
"Well then, you'll probably be wanting yours back".

Peter frowned.

He took his sword and walked away without another word.

Caspian stared at the boy as he walked away, a similar frown on his own face.

He had heard stories and tales of the kings and queens of old but those who had appeared before him were no more than young children.

He wasn't one to judge.

He didn't know them as much as the Narnians did.

So he was ready to put his trust on them, especially high queen Aria.

But to see how easily Peter had arrived and taken the place he had fought so hard to achieve infuriated him.

Caspian wouldn't want to admit that it was indeed jealousy that he was feeling but he couldn't help but feel disappointed.

The boy sighed, his eyes following the blond haired boy.

They walked away from the clearing, hoping to reach their destination soon.

A sudden breeze on his side, however, made him stop, his gaze shifting to the woods.

His eyes struggled to find something in the dark but he didn't miss it.

The dark black hair and the green dress.

A smile appeared on his face as his eyes fell on the familiar girl disappearing into the trees.