Chapter 20

Caspian stood gaping at the sight before him

Every tale from his books had come alive and was gathered around him.

Creatures from centaurs, minotaurs, dwarfs to little talking mice!

Caspian would have sworn he was dreaming but he had faced more injuries than being pinched to know if he was awake.

The mass of Narnians gathered would have marvelled him if not for the constant insults and shouts that were being thrown at him.

Caspian remained silent, refusing to be affected by their words.

"This horn proves that they have stolen yet another thing from us!", Nikabrik, the dark haired dwarf from when they had first encountered, yelled, pointing an accusing finger at the boy.

Caspian frowned.
"I didn't steal anything".

"Didn't steal anything? Give me a list of things the Telmarines have stolen from us!", a minotaur roared to the crowd.

"Our homes!"

"Our lands!"

"Our freedom!"

The Narnians yelled one after another, their shouts growing louder and angrier.

Caspian could only listen as he scanned the angry crowd.

"You would hold me accountable for all the crimes of my people?", he asked.

"Accountable and punishable", Nikabrik stated, his words dripping with malice.

Caspian gulped, staring at the faces that glared at him.
He had hoped the Narnians would accept him with them being his only hope after leaving Telmar.

Most of them actually threatening him was not what he had in mind.

"That is rich coming from you, dwarf".

Caspian turned to look at the mouse that spoke.
Reepicheep, the mouse that had almost killed him before, pointed his tiny sword at the dwarf.

"Have you forgotten that it was your people who fought alongside the white witch?".

"And I'll gladly do it again", Nikabrik shot back, turning his gaze to Caspian.
"If it would rid us of these barbarians!".

"Then it is lucky that it is not in your power to bring her back", a badger spoke up from the crowd.
"Or are you suggesting we ask this boy to go against Aslan now? Or even the high queen?".

The crowd gasped, shaking their heads- some glaring at Nikabrik.

"Some of you may have forgotten, but we badgers remember well".
The badger, Trufflehunter, moved to the center of the clearing.
"Narnia was never right, except when a son of adam or a daughter of eve sat on the throne".

"Why would we want him as our king?", Nikabrik argued back.

"Because I can help you!", Caspian blurted out, gulping when all eyes were on him.

The boy took a deep breath.
His gaze rested on the silent crowd.

"Beyond these woods, I am a prince. Help me claim it, and I can bring peace between us".

Caspian watched the crowd. Their silence stunned him.
There were no cries of protest or of agreement.
He almost believed it was a lost cause but a centaur stepped forward from the crowd.

"It is true, the time is ripe", Glenstorm spoke.

The crowd turned to look at centaur with respect.
"I watch the skies for it is mine to watch, as it is yours to remember, badger".

He continued. "Tarva, the Lord of victory and Alambil, the Lady of Peace have come together in the high heavens".

Glenstorm shifted his gaze to the boy.
"And now here, a son of Adam has come forth to offer us our freedom and the high queen has appeared to many of us".

Whispers erupted among the crowd.
Narnians looked from one to another, confirming their sightings.

"Will the spirit help us too?", a squirrel spoke up from its position on a tree.

Nikabrik laughed.
"She's been dead for many years. You think she would help us?", he sneered.

Trufflehunter grunted.
"Yes she would. Or have you forgotten that I saw her the night the boy arrived?", the badger stated to which the dwarf frowned.

"She once saved me from a telmarine soldier", a faun pointed out.

Voices spoke up listing their sightings and the crowd seemed to gain some new form of energy with each mention.

It was a newfound hope.

"It is as the prophecy has foretold", Glenstorm spoke over the crowd, silencing them.

He smiled.
"The High Queen will return".

Cheers erupted from the crowd as the good news were bestowed upon them, wide smiles on their faces.

They had awaited this moment since the prophecy had been announced and to know that they need not wait any longer comforted them.

The centaur looked back at the Prince.

"The high queen brought you to us. In the name of her majesty, my sons and I offer you our swords", he proclaimed, holding out his sword.

The Narnians followed suit, holding up their swords in respect.

Caspian stared at the Narnians.
To say that he was glad to be accepted was an understatement but with it came a new sense of responsibility that frightened him.

The reality of leading an army against his uncle left him nervous.

He was expected of a great deed from the Narnians who looked up to a high queen that he too admired.

The girl he had met in the woods.

The girl who had saved him.

She was the high queen that he had grown up hearing stories about and the protector that all Narnians admired.

To know that she would be by his side comforted him.

He exchanged a glance with Glenstorm, the centaur nodding his head in support.

Caspian took a deep breath and smiled.

He would do whatever it takes to help the Narnians.

He had given his word to them.

And Caspian swore to himself that he would to stick to his words.