Chapter 24

"Sire, we encountered Narnians in the woods near Beruna", a soldier addressed the man in the throne room.

The man, the self appointed king of Telmar, paced the length of the room before coming to a stop before them.

Miraz turned to look at the group of five that stood before him, their gazes fixed on the floor.

"Well, I am sure you got rid of them", he sneered.

The soldiers didn't dare raise their heads and the room filled with silence.

"Or not?", Miraz glared at the soldier right beside him and the injured man averted his gaze to the floor.

"Sire, there was this girl. She attacked us. They call her the high queen", he stated, gripping his left arm that was bandaged.

He looked up to meet the gaze of Miraz.

"In the professor's books, she's called a spirit".

Miraz scoffed, bringing his hand to his sword and observing the hilt of it.

"Spirits do no exist. You have been attacked by a mere girl, you say?".

"I'm sorry sire", general Glozelle spoke up from beside him. "But up until weeks ago Narnians were just a fairytale".

Miraz narrowed his eyes at his men, observing the state they were in.

Most of them wore bandages and suffered from wounds that would be brought about by arrows.

"How many men did you lose?".

The soldier gulped, his gaze falling to his feet.

"Five, sire. She ambushed us with arrows and her sword skills were-", he stopped and gulped again, feeling his throat dry up.
"Everything that the stories have said".

Miraz glared at the soldiers as they exchanged nervous glances.

"They are just stories. Bring in Cornelius. That old man knows more about the Narnians than we do".

"Sire I don't think that would be necessary", Lord Sopespian walked upto Miraz with a smile.

"What?".

Sopespian held out a piece of paper and Miraz snatched it off of his hand.

"I ripped it out of a book that belonged to the old man. It speaks of an ancient enchantment that draws in spirits", he explained, all the while wearing a vile smirk on his face.

"The High Queen- the spirit. She is naturally drawn to it. These creatures of dark magic. If we sought them, they'll do the rest and take care of the spirit".

Miraz contemplated his words, scanning the paper that held pictures of hooded creatures.

"So. We don't have to seek her out. Instead we can bring her right into our trap", Miraz said.

He turned to Lord Sopespian.
"Do you know where to find them?".

"Yes, my lord", Sopespian replied.

"Then take action immediately", Miraz ordered the men standing before him.

"Do whatever it takes to destroy that witch. I want her dead".