Chapter 39

The Narnians gathered together at the how as Miraz's army continued to taunt them from the outside.

Their army was huge in numbers, every single Telmarine armed with proper weapons and shields.

It sent chills down Aria's spine to see them also equipped with catapults.

But she hadn't lost hope.

"Lucy was the one who saw Aslan. We could send Aria but we need her here. It's only fitting that we send Lucy to get him", Peter spoke and Aria met his gaze.

"Are you sure this will work?", Caspian asked.

Peter exchanged glances with his sister and nodded.
"She can do this".

"Cakes and kettledrums! That's your big plan? To send a little girl into the darkest parts of the forest alone?!", Trumpkin said in disbelief, pointing at the girl.

"It's our only chance", Peter insisted.

"And she won't be alone", Susan spoke, standing next to her sister.

"This is the only choice we got. We can't risk any other", Aria said, smiling sadly at the dwarf.

"Haven't enough of us died already?", Trumpkin stated sadly, turning from Aria to Lucy.

"Nikabrik was my friend too", Trufflehunter spoke up from beside Edmund.
"But he lost hope. Queen Lucy hasn't. And neither have I".

Reepicheep drew his sword and raised it.
"For Aslan", he said.

"For Aslan", a bear joined in.

"For Aslan", Peter repeated and Aria shared a warm smile with the boy.

"Then I'm coming with you", Trumpkin told the girl but Lucy shook her head.

"We need you here. Susan and I will be alright", she said.

Aria placed her hand on Trumpkin's shoulder.

"They'll be alright", she reassured the dwarf and Trumpkin nodded.

She turned to the others in the room.

"We need a way to hold them off until Lucy gets back", she said and Peter nodded in agreement.

"If I may..", Caspian spoke and all heads turned to the boy.

Caspian shared a glance with his professor and then with Aria.

The girl smiled and gestured him to continue.

"Miraz may be a tyrant and a murderer. But as king, he is subjected to the traditions and expectations of his people", he said.
"There is one in particular that may buy us some time".

Caspian turned to Aria and the girl smiled, realising what the boy meant.

"Challenge him to a single combat", Aria stated and the boy nodded.

"Would Miraz really agree to that? He has the advantage here and he knows that", Edmund stated.

Aria pursed her lips in thought and shook her head.

"Miraz has an ego he needs to uphold as king. I'm sure with a little nudge he would definitely agree to it", she said and Edmund smiled.

"Who's going to do it?", Susan asked softly, her gaze shifting from one person at another.

"I will-"

"I can-".

Aria and Peter glanced at each other as they spoke at the same time and the girl took a step closer to the boy.

"I can do it", she said.

Peter smiled but shook his head.

"I know more than anyone that you can. But Miraz would disagree to fight a spirit", he explained.

"I don't have any powers".

"He doesn't know that", Peter replied.

Aria pursed her lips in thought.

As much as she trusted in Peter's swords skills, it would be inevitable than he would get hurt.

And Aria didn't want to risk that.

But she had no other choice.

She glanced at the boy and nodded in understanding.

Peter smiled and turned to his brother.

"Edmund can take the message to their camp. Take Glenstorm and a giant to accompany you".

Edmund smiled and nodded.
"A centaur and giant definitely would make an impression".

"I'll come with you", Aria said, turning towards the boy.

Edmund smiled.
"We wanted to make an impression. What's better than to show that the spirit is still alive".

The boy smirked, pointing at Aria dramatically.

Peter stared at the girl.

Aria flashed an assuring smile and nodded.

"Alright", Peter said. "Its settled then".