Chapter 15

Aria pulled up a chair and leaned back, looking over the paper in her hand

Her eyes turned to the chair Peter would usually sit in and smiled.

Countless times had Peter asked her to sit in it, deeming it to be more comfortable to spend hours working on scrolls.
But Aria always denied.

It was the High King's chair. She didn't want to overstep any boundaries.

The woman rubbed her forehead and scanned the paper.
She suddenly shuddered as a cold shiver spread through out her body.

Aria looked to the open window in doubt.
It wasn't even winter yet and only winter could match the coldness she felt then.

Aria hugged the scrolls to her body and walked to the window. She pulled them close and sighed.

"General!", a centaur rushed into a hall, coming into an abrupt halt infront of Aria.

The woman dropped the scrolls in her hand, noticing the urgent look in his eyes.

"It's the kings and queens. They've gone missing!".

•••○•••

Aria rode Legacy into the woods the siblings were supposed to be in.

Accompanied by several knights from Narnia, they were ordered by Aria to search the woods until the very end.

They had followed what she had said, despite having searched the woods several times before she had decided herself to accompany them.

By following some blind hope, they had set off again after weeks of them being gone.

Aria's breath came in gasps as she rode without a break, sweat dripping down her temple.

Their horses had returned without them.
Edmund's horse, Philip, said they left.

They left Narnia.

They went back to their world.

Aria didn't want to believe it. They wouldn't just decide to leave Narnia.

Peter wouldn't do that.
He wouldn't leave her like that.

Aria pulled on the reins as they rode out into an open field.
She had been to every corner of the woods but found nothing.

She had walked around and waited countless times by the lamp post, hoping they would turn up.

But every time, she was alone.

She didn't want to believe it.

It took her more than a month to accept it.

During the last few days, she had ventured along into the same woods.

Walked the same paths.

And stood beside the same lamp post that she often had dreams about.

But there were no Pevensies.

She was alone.

•••○•••

"Aria".
Tumnus walked upto her as she signed and looked over papers sprawled out before her.

"You need to get some rest", he said softly.

Aria sighed and stared at the flickering candles that casted shadows on the table.

"I can't Mr.Tumnus", she sighed. "I see dreams of them. And it doesn't help at all".

She took out another paper and placed it on the table. "I just need to focus my attention elsewhere".

Tumnus sighed and held her hand.
"You need sleep. If you want to take care of Narnia, you need to take care of yourself first".

Aria slumped down on her chair, massaging her forehead.
She fought to keep the tears in but they betrayed her and fell down her face.

"I miss them terribly", she whispered.

Tumnus nodded, patting her hand. "We all do".

Oreius walked into the room, making Aria rise to her feet in a hurry.
The centaur shook his head sadly, making his way towards Aria.
"I'm sorry. They aren't in Archenland either".

Aria sighed and sagged against the wall.
She covered her face with her hands, wiping off any reminder of her tears.

"Well, that is it then. They have returned to their world".

Oreius frowned, edging closer to the woman.
"Forgive me milady, for bringing this up at such a time like this but", Oreius looked at her with sad eyes.

"It is time".

A day later, general Aria walked into a hall as friends and Narnians stood on both sides of the room.

She eyed the four thrones that had been left as she had asked for and her gaze shifted to a fifth standing infront.

Her gaze swept the room as she stood facing the crowd before her.
Smiles were on their faces.

Pride in some.

She smiled back, as Tumnus walked up to her, accompanied by a second faun with a cushion in her hands.

She bent slightly so he could place it on her head.

Tumnus held her shoulder gratefully before walking back to the side.

Aria looked back at the crowd as Oreius cheered from beside her.
The crowd joined him with the cheer and Aria gripped onto her dress tightly as she accepted what had happened and what was to come of her.

"Long live High Queen Aria!".