Chapter 16

"How big is their army?", the Queen asked, as a griffin flew down to her level

"More than we could ever imagine, your majesty", the Griffin answered, already losing hope.

Queen Aria sighed.
She glanced at Tyrus, a sad smile on her face.
"Did your sons get them to safety?"

The centaur nodded.
"As much as we could save, your highness. They are already on their way to hiding. The telmarines won't be able to find them".

Aria nodded her head.
"You and the others can join them".

"But, your majesty...".

"As much as I hate to admit It, we have already lost this war. We have already lost too much. The only thing we can do is to save all those we can", Aria explained, looking around her.

"Your majesty, you have to save yourself".

Aria smirked and glanced at Tyrus.
"I should have died a long time ago Tyrus. Aslan knows why I lived this long without aging".

Their heads jerk towards a sound as a sudden war cry appeared from the north.
Aria's eyes widened as she watched the Telmarine army approach Cair paravel, their numbers obviously  outweighing their chances of winning.

She sighed and unsheathed her sword, looking at the small army they had left - a result of the sudden attack by the telmarines.

"This is your last chance to save yourselves. Those who wish to stay back can do so and protect those of us left".

Aria sighed, her eyes shifting to the horizon and back to the men before her.

"Those of you, who are brave enough to volunteer, you should know the chances of returning are slim", the Queen stated gravely.

She glanced at the Narnians before her, their faces shifting from one to another before Tyrus stepped forward.
"Its our choice to stay, your majesty".

Aria smiled and nodded.
"Then shall your names be honoured as the soldiers who fought for narnia".

She smiled again and looked at them.
"Thank you", she said softly and the Narnians nodded their heads in respect.

She turned back to look at the telmarine army approaching them.

They had no chance of winning.
She knew that.

But it's not the nature of the Narnians to give up without a fight.

Aria glanced at Tyrus, who nodded his head for support.

Aria raised her sword above her head and shouting out a battle cry for the final time, they ran into the field and towards the Telmarines.

"For Narnia. And for Aslan!".