Chapter 29

"It's not the time to be relying on our feelings anymore

"It's not the time to be relying on our feelings anymore. We are at war".

Aria's eyes grew wide, taken back by what he had said.

His comment was so out of character, so far from what she knew of him.
She just stared at him open mouthed.

Peter turned to Glenstorm.
"If I can get your troops in, can you handle the guards?".

Glenstorm looked at his queen, the girl staring at the two with worry on her face.

The centaur wished to listen to the high queen but he would also do anything for his king.

"Or die trying, my liege".

"That's what I'm worried about", Lucy spoke up from where she sat on the stone table.

The girl had remained silent during the whole thing, sharing quick glances with Aria in worry.

Peter looked at his sister, confused.
"Sorry?".

"Well you're all acting like there are only two options. Dying here or in the Telmarine castle", the girl said.

Peter sighed.
"I'm not sure you've been listening Lucy".

"No, you're not listening", Lucy shot back.
"Or have you forgotten who really defeated the white witch?".

Peter pursed his lips, staring at Lucy with a blank face.
"I think we've waited for Aslan long enough".

•••○•••

Aria stood rooted to her spot as the crowd dispersed, leaving only a few others behind including Caspian and the Pevensies.

Peter spoke a few words to Glenstorm before turning to the girl.

"Is something wrong?".

"Wrong?", Aria scoffed. "Wrong wouldn't even begin to describe the situation".

"We need to attack first", Peter stated. "It's the best option we have".

"So you'd risk the lives of your people for a plan that sounds like absolute madness?", Aria snapped back and Peter frowned at her words.

Aria closed her eyes and sighed. Her eyes opened to land on Trumpkin who watched her sadly.

"Peter, these people have managed to survive this far and your plan is only going to make us lose more Narnians when we are already short of an army".

Aria brushed her hand through her hair and exhaled.

"I've been through a lot for centuries and if you believe that this would work out, don't tell me I didn't warn you".

Peter's face flushed red and Aria looked away realising she had gone too far.

Peter pursed his lips, a slight furrow between his brows as he stared pointedly at her.

"Do you doubt our army?", Peter questioned.

Aria turned to look at the boy with narrowed eyes, shaking her head in denial.
"No that's not it".

"Then it doesn't hurt to have some faith does it?".

Aria's gaze turned to Edmund, who shared an equally worried face.

The boy was acting weird, much different from when they were last here.

Could he possibly have changed so much within just a year?

Peter's gaze unknowingly fell to her hands, trying to find the one thing that they shared and he treasured dearly.

But the pain he felt was unexpected as his eyes were met with her bare fingers.

He fumbled with his own ring in his finger, an action that was noticed by the girl and when his gaze lifted from her hands to her face, his eyes were narrowed and hard.

"You were here for the past centuries and look where Narnia is now.
I think we need a different approach to everything.
A different approach that would actually help keep narnia safe unlike how it has been for all this time".

Peter stared at her with icy coldness and Aria fought to maintain a calm demeanour.

"I couldn't handle this alone. I wasn't made for this".

"Then why did you become queen?".

Lucy gasped and Edmund glared at his brother.

Aria's face paled, her jaw dropping speechless.

For a moment she let her facade drop, her eyes moving around the room, tears forming in them.

And as if nothing had happened, her face hardened, returning to the stoic face she had been wearing before.

But, even if Aria wouldn't admit it, they could still see her tears.

She glared at the boy.

"Because a certain king abandoned his subjects".

Peter opened his mouth and then shut it again.

His eyes were focused on the teary brown eyes as she uttered those words; her tone was haunting.

"Look, It might not have been on purpose but I didn't ask to be queen".

A tear slid down her face and Aria immediately wiped it off.

Peter bit his lip. He had gone too far.
"Aria.."

The said girl shook her head and turned away from the boy.

Her eyes met that of Edmund's as he watched sadly and she walked out of the room.