Chapter 78

"Why do you hate me, Amber?" Luna asked after a long moment of quiet.

Amber did not expect Luna to ask this question, but she didn't necessarily hate Luna. She could never truly hate anyone. But Luna had done so much, did she not realize that?

"Because of what you've done to my family," Amber told her. "Why do you hate me?"

"Because of what you've done to my family," Luna quietly said to repeat Amber's previous answer. It made sense, though. They both disliked each other because of the same reason. They had both caused destruction. Amber hadn't thought of it that way before.

Amber didn't know what to say, so she looked down at the ground. She wondered if Eva was close enough to hear the conversation.

"I don't want to hate you, Amber," Luna slurred, surprising Amber.

Amber looked up to face her once more. "Then why do you?"

"Because of what your parents did! We had everything, Amber! Do you know how great being royal was? We got-"

"Stop! Just stop!" Amber shouted, knowing what Luna was about to say. "You're being selfish again! It isn't all about money and power, Luna!"

Amber watched in shock as Luna tried to lunge up with her vampire abilities, but only stood like a normal human being. Luna glanced down at her body.

"What the fuck did you all do to me?!"

"Joel...Joel drugged you to make your powers dead for two hours," Amber told her timidly. She didn't want Luna taking her anger out on Amber. She had tried to stop him.

"Ugh, that son of a bitch," Luna grumbled, making Amber laugh softly. Luna then sharply glared at her, cutting her laughter short.

"Am I evil, Amber?" Luna asked, even though she wasn't even facing her. The woman had moved her eyes to the side of the cage.

Amber once again was at a loss of words. Wasn't it obvious? Of course she was evil. She had done horrible, wicked things not even the devil would think of.

"Um...yes, Luna. You are," she told her, despite how scared she was to admit it to her. She didn't want to lie to her anymore, though. It was about time they were honest.

Luna sighed, almost sounding sad. "I don't want to be evil, Amber," she said, still sounding drugged. Amber hopped the drugs weren't forcing her to say these things. Well that was whatever she was saying. Did she feel bad for all the damage she had done?

"Do you know how hard it is to be so mean?!" Luna suddenly screamed and sharply turned to face her.

Amber jumped back in fright. What was she talking about?

"What are you saying, Luna?" Amber softly asked.

Luna's eyes filled with tears, surprising Amber even more. "I regret it...everything. It wasn't your fault and it wasn't your parents' fault either. They just fell in love. I mean, they shouldn't have gone and had you without even thinking over the consequences, but I was way too dramatic. I realized that once I got to know you, Amber," Luna said. She stepped up close to Amber, the only thing separating them being the cage. Luna grasped the bars with her hands. "You changed something in me. I just don't know what to do, Amber. I can't just suddenly act like I don't care anymore. Yes, it still brothers me, but I don't want to fight anymore. I don't want to hate or be hated, do you understand me?"

Amber was staring at her like she was a psycho. Did she really not want to be so evil anymore? Amber had caused her to be better?

"Luna..." Amber muttered as she took a step closer. "Why would you be afraid to admit you were wrong? And do you think my parents don't feel awful? I'm sure they do. When exactly did you realize all this?"