Chapter 4

Sophia

As I entered the lion's den, I was greeted by strong musky cologne. The room itself is wrapped in his fragrance, even though he is not here you can feel him here. The room too like the whole house has vintage vibe. Wooden flooring make my pumps sound like tic tac toe as I move towards the wall size glass doors leading towards the balcony. It was like the entire wall is glass. I tried to pull the handle and Surprise, Surprise it was locked, and though its not like I am at 50th floor or something, it still reminds me of my childhood princess story. It felt like I am the Rapunzel trapped in a tower. As far as I can see there is just forest.

I sighed leaning over the desk adjacent to the glass doors. The desk was cleaned but not sorted. There was a table lamp kept. There were few folders scattered with pens laying around. There's also lying an empty bottle of Bourbon whiskey and a crystal ashtray. However, there wasn't any ashes in it. A sleek silver case was kept there. It was opened and there were lines of rolled joints, weed I guess. I know it because I saw Marc smoking this or something like this. A steel grey laptop on also kept on the table. I wonder if there is any network amidst forest, not that I have anyone to contact. I grazed my fingers on the black quilted leather chair. It looked quiet comfortable a bit like an office chair.

I turned towards the room, I saw a fireplace at the other end aside to which was a small bar cabinet with bottles of Bourbon and ice bucket. It's more like a cooler or a mini fridge but the door is of glass and can be seen inside. A half drunk bottle was kept on the top of mantelpiece with a glass kept alongside. I saw two doors, one of which I guess must be the bathroom, however, I didn't explore it.

There was a four poster king size bed in the middle. The wall above the bed has a big photo frame of Don. Not too big yet big enough to go unnoticed. He was looking so handsome in the photograph. It was closeup shot seems like he is driving  though the car was not in the picture. But the shadow on the ground looks like of  jeep. And its like he is holding something with his right hand which I guess is the steering. He had a grey t-shirt and blue jeans on with an off white cowboy hat. His stubble was so much completing his look. The surrounding seems like a desert. There was only sand and clear blue sky.

There were bed side chests kept on either sides with lamps on both of them. There was a full length mirror between the mantelpiece and the bed side chest. There was also a couch kept diagonally between the mini bar and the mirror. A big flat-screen TV was mounted on the opposite wall of the bed between the two doors.

I was pacing around the room overthinking everything. Counting how many minutes left before he loose it and shoot me down too. Pacing up and down in this big room made me realize the my feet were killing me, for a moment I took a break from thinking about my upside down life and took off those God forsaken heels. As I sat at the edge of the four poster bed a sigh escaped from my lips and just as relief came it was gone as the whole scene that I witnessed downstairs kept revolving around my eyes again. What he did with his gun, with me, was so intense. 

Scared was an understatement of what I was feeling. Who can kill someone just like that? What kind of a man is he? The worst part is there was not even a hint remorse in his eyes after shooting those bullets. Not even an inkling. How can someone so beautiful has such a cold heart? I thought looking at his big photo. My hand flew to my cheek where he slapped me, its not liked I was slapped for the first time in my life, but he slapped me so hard that if I were a cartoon I would have seen stars around

A gasp escaped me as I heard the knob turned and the door flew open and there he was. I stood up in a haste as he kept staring at me and my flipped over heels. I looked down on the floor, which was far more comforting than looking at him. I am far from ready for this right now. He entered the room and I heard the click, locking me with the devil himself. He strolled in the room taking his shirt off, he threw at the floor carelessly and walked towards the fireplace and filled that glass with a shot of bourbon. I didn't know I was staring at his lean yet muscular physique he is just flawless, until I heard him saying still with his back towards me "Like what you see?? huh" he turned towards me with an evil smirk on his face and I took my eyes back to floor and kept quiet at his not so question, 'question' Yup, so not ready for this.

He leaned at edge of the fireplace with the support of his elbow and I heard his husky voice again "So, Sophia, would you like a drink?" he asked with obviously fake politeness in voice. I still didn't say anything as I was too shocked to reply, how does he know my name? Its like he read my mind as he said with another sip of his whiskey "I know more about you than you think". I still could not form any words to reply to him. I so do not want to anger him by saying something stupid, which could be literally anything, so I thought of the smarter way and remained quiet with my hands intertwined at my torso and keeping my gaze on the floor as its the most interesting thing.

I could feel his stare on me and his growing smirk as he said "Sophia, pick up that shirt" and for first time I managed to look at him, I mean I really didn't expect him to say this. He motioned towards the shirt on the floor with his eyes and I moved towards it with shaking feet. I remembered both Marc's and Maria's advice to obey him if I want to live. And what I witnessed I surely was not going to take chances that too for not picking up a shirt from the floor. I bend down to pick his shirt all the way feeling his eyes on me. I got up and stretched my hand with the shirt towards him. He was still staring at me and I was still staring at the floor when he motioned with his glass towards one of the doors saying "That one's the bathroom, why don't you change, this (he motioned up and down my dress with his glass holding hand.) doesn't look a comfortable attire for bed."

"I-I do-do not have anything to wear" I stuttered while speaking for the first time. "hmmmm...so she speaks" He taunted while taking another sip. I was visibly uncomfortable and shifting my weight on each legs wishing to escape from his scrutinizing gaze when he spoke again "Well, you have a shirt in your hands, so go ahead get changed". I was shocked, he was expecting to wear his shirt, only shirt, "C-Can I-I have something else to wear, please" I pleaded. "You can but you won't, so if you are not planning to sleep naked I would say you go ahead and change" he said with that evil glint in his eyes. My eyes go wide at his comment and I rushed towards the bathroom.