Chapter 34

Sophia

I knew I have stalled it enough, but I have to tell Don now when he is asking me directly. If he wanted he could get all the information of my past with one phone call. He respected my wish till now. But I guess now I have to tell him, there is no point to keep it a secret anyway. I promised him my future. He has right to know about my past too. Plus Chuck, this all belong to him too, he deserves to know the truth.

I walked towards the glass window behind Don's desk. I cannot look at them while telling this. I began to tell my story.

"My father Oliver Richmond was the Duke of a small dukedom 'Arlignton' in London. He was a doctor by profession and had come to America for a medical camp in a small village in Virginia. He met my mom there she was a volunteer in the camp and they fell in love. Dad's family however, didn't approve of their relationship since mom was an American girl and not the daughter of some Earl or Duke from England. So my grandfather gave my father a choice, either he could choose his Dukedom or my mother. If he choses my mother his brother Edward Richmond will succeed my grandfather as the Duke and my dad will get only 50% his financial share in heritage too. My dad chose his love, he took his half and came to America and married my mom.

He build his live in the same place 'Brightwood' Virginia where that medical camp was. It is a small village with a population of less than 1200 people. My Dad provided for lot in the village, he helped setting up the equipped hospital too, he also renovated the highschool there. He even set up a small woodwork factory that built wooden furniture to provide more employment to the townpeople. Soon with his charming personality and leadership skills he became Mayor of the town. He was loved by the town people. My mother too helped him at every step, she took charge of the high school and ensured that the kids do not get sub par education. She was herself a social activist , that was the reason she was there at that medical camp.

Then I was born and soon after two years Charles was born. We had a great childhood, I have nothing to complaint about it. We had everything, Dad build this mansion and named it as Sophia's castle because he used to say that I am his lady luck. I was treated as a princess, I had everything and everyone at my beck and call. I was the spoilt brat I guess". I chuckled while reminiscing the old days as I move to sit. I sat on the couch. I did not notice that a tear fell from my eyes until I felt Don's finger wiping it from my cheek. He was crouching in front of me and he kissed me on the forehead I smiled at the softness in his eyes, it felt like Damon from that wood cabin has came back. "Tell me more Doll" he said and I continued

"It was two days prior to my 12th birthday, we were about to go to Paris to celebrate it. But Dad was late and we were supposed to catch a flight. I remember Chuck was still pissed off that he has to leave for a whole week because of my birthday and leave his friends here. I was throwing a tantrum because Dad was late when the door bell rang. My mom opened the door and I ran towards the door thinking that finally Dad has arrived. But it wasn't Dad, It was town's Sheriff Mr. Sawyer and an ambulance. He told my mom the words I never have imagined I would ever hear, "I am sorry Mrs. Richmond but Mayor was in a terrible accident and  we lost him" He said as the paramedics brought my Dad's body inside. It was in one moment everything turned upside down. That day we did not only lost my Dad, it felt like I lost myself too.

I felt Chuck on the arm of the couch , he hugged me sideways. "You were never lost, you were always there for me. I had both my parents with me because I had you Sophie" he said comforting me. I put my hand on his and smiled. Don was still holding one of my hand and Ricardo was listening attentively sitting on the desk but not meeting my eyes. I looked at Don and continued my story.

"It was after a week of my Dad's funeral when my Mom took the charge of the town. She became the interim Mayor and handled the hospital administration and school along with everything including the factory business. I knew how alone she was, she started taking drugs too. She used to say it help her sleep at night. She had become a workaholic, she was doing everything so that we do not have to compromise on our education or any facilities, and we didn't. Dad had planned enough for the future without him and Mom was putting a lot of efforts to keep our lives afloat, things became coming to normal or it seems so, nothing could ever be same without Dad."

"Then almost after an year Adrien came to our town. Adrien Lockwood. He was a businessman and came with investments in the heritage spots of the town. He was fine man, he was charming, helpful and has lot of aspirations. He met our mom regarding the investments in town and that soon they started going out. I was mad at Mom that how she can move on in just a year. I understood when she devoted herself completely to work to stay away from home, I took care of Chuck in every possible way I can. I took care of his studies, of his food, of his health, the house staff  and of my studies. I had no complaints from her. I knew how hard she was trying. I didn't argue on her drugs because I understood her grief but this I was not able to think past that how she can move on with someone after dad in just a year.

I was angry at her and wanted to fight with her but then I started noticing the change in her behavior , she seemed happy. She stopped taking drugs, she started playing piano with me again. I was happy to have her back, and this was because of Adrien. I started liking him, though he just met us twice but I didn't mind mom spending time with him, because I was getting my mother back. We started to have meals again together, she started laughing and chatting with us again. I still had missed Dad but I was happy that I got mom back. Soon she married Adrien within an year of dating and he started living with us. He was a good man, he took care of my mom. We however, as kids did not use to spend much time with him and he never gave me vibes of a dad or like I can trust him with myself or my brother's safety but I was fine with him as he kept my mom happy. They had a small ceremony at the Church. Adrien do not have any family so its just us and few town people who were close to my mother.

Soon after their wedding Adrien took over the position of the Mayor of the town. It helped my mom to take out sometime out of work. I wasn't sure then about Adrien's business but he was into clubs I thought. That was his investment proposal  turning the destroyed heritage spots into clubs when he came. He wanted to build a club here and he carried it out too.

Adrein slowly took over all the things but as much involved he got he started to change or rather I should say started to show his true colors. They started to fight a lot. He used to spending most nights at the club always came home drunk and then they used to fight. Mom turned to drugs again. I remember days trying to bring her out of it trying tell her that I needed her, that Chuck needed her. But she just stopped caring about me about Chuck about everything. I knew she was lonely and she was missing dad and she was feeling guilty but she just drowned in her own emotions. I remember holding Chuck at night when he used to get all scared because of their loud voices during fights. They started hitting each other too and things just got worse and worse.

One day when we came back from school Adrien was already at home to my surprise. But again he didn't mess with us. They were fighting again they didn't even notice us. I made Chuck his lunch and we were going to eat in his room and complete his homework when the doorbell rang. There was a tattooed man I never saw before. "You Jennifer?" he asked me. I was about to say no when I heard mom say "No Ted, do you really think a 15year old was talking to you all these days." She said leaving with a bag. "Mom what's happening? Where are you going?" I asked all puzzled. "I am done with this sick life. And I am leaving it?" she said blankly stepping out like she is talikng about weather. "What do you mean you are leaving it? You can't leave us. Chuck is just 13 for God's sake. How can you leave us? You have to stay. Or atleast take us with you don't leave us behind" I kept saying while following her out the door. "Look Sophie I know I failed you as a mother. But you, you my child are a better mother for Chuck than I am and I know you will take care of him more than I ever could. I can't face you both everyday knowing how bad I screwed up but you are strong Sophie you will take care of everything." She hugged me and said "I will always love you my pumpkin but I know you will make your dad proud unlike me."

And she left. She left

Chuck came running to me he was pulling the hem of my skirt and asking "Who was he Sophie? Where is mommy? Where is mommy Sophie?" I knelt down and hugged my baby brother hard and cried. I cried so much. 

Her words were coming back to me and wiped out my tears and his and I promised myself that I will do anything to provide my brother a good life. He will never miss his parents. I will always love him more than they did. I will never give up on him like mom gave up on us, on me. And I will be never forgive them for leaving us. 

The only thing I wanted to ask her who will take care of me mom?