Chapter 62

Damon

Here we are sitting in my office examining the surveillance cameras around the old warehouses of Russo. Enzo had got some news regarding his movements. But these cameras have nothing. The footage may be playing in front of us but my mind is going back to Sophia again and again. She is lying to me. Why? What? But I know she is lying. She hasn't slept last night. I don't know what is bothering her so much. There is something she is hiding, she is stalling my questions, what's going on.

"Checked on Charles?" I asked Enzo. "No movements" what is up with him. It is not usual. "Check on his girl what's her name Lola?" I told Enzo. He instructed his men immediately.

"Why will Russo come to these places?" Ric said irritated since we are looking on the footage for 20mins and there is no action. Ric is not wrong. Nothing is coming out of these footage. But I could sense him moving. I know him. He is not silent. What is he planning? The only leverage he can have on me is Sophia and she is here. Then what? What is it? I was thinking revolving my gun and having bourbon when the door barged open.

There she was. Sophia. The door locked with a click behind her. She was standing at the door. Her hands on the knob at her back. She was staring at the floor.

I was waiting for her to finally say what she is hiding. She swallowed looking at me and her gaze went back to floor. C'mon Sophia. Tell me.

"Damon" she said as her eyes met mine. She is crying. I got up and went to her. She is again avoiding my eyes. I pulled her face up from her chin and made her look at me. Her big eyes were filled were tears. Her hair were falling on face. I brushed my fingers on her face and tucked them behind. I could hear her whimpers. Her tears were ready to leave her eyes. She swallowed her sobs and said "Damon I need you. I am so scared. Help me, please." I engulfed her in my arms. She cried into my embrace.

I broke the hug and kissed her tears. "Brother I think you both should talk. We will come later." Ric said while he and Enzo got up to leave. "Wait." She said stopping them. "Its better if you two stay too." We exchanged looks. I walked her inside the room.

I walked towards the desk. Enzo and Ric sat on either chairs and I stood leaning on the desk and motioned her to begin. She opened her mouth but didn't say. Her hands were shivering. I can see the emerging sweat beads on her forehead. What is it that she is so scared to tell me? What has she done?

"What is it Soph? You alright? Tell us." Enzo said trying to sooth her. She gave him half a smile. "You need water Cinderella" said Ric giving her a glass of water. She shook her head. Anyways her hands were shivering too much to hold the glass. She was not able to look at me.

"I-I lied to y-you" she finally said. This is not news. The question is lied about what? "I am listening" I said.

"I-I-I". She closed her eyes before saying like gathering courage. She let out a deep breath. She opened her eyes and looked at me but soon averted her gaze to floor. She said "I met him two days ago. I am speaking to him over the call since then. I lied to you about this. I-" "You met whom?" I asked cutting her in between. As much as I know she hasn't left the house. If she met anyone it has to be here. "I-" "Whom?" "R-Ru-Russo".

"Say again" I said as I grabbed her hand. That can't be true. She can't betray me. She can't know where Russo is. She know Russo is my biggest enemy, she can hide him from me. "Who?" I asked her again. My grip tightens around her arm and I knew it will leave a bruise. I wanted to listen that I heard wrong. She met the man who killed my sister. Who is the reason of my father's death. And after knowing everything,  after when I poured my heart out to her. I made her a part of me by sharing my pain. My ache. I wanted her to tell me that I heard wrong. So I asked again "Who?" "Russo" she said. She looked me in the eye and said his name.