Fear and Reasoning

Mark's POV:

   "Damn! Where am I' I thought as I analyzed the wooded environment. Thoughts of the previous events made my skin crawl. I really could have died back there. At least it would be noble compared to what I'm going to face when I return empty-handed. Oh well, I can take another beating, but maybe they would go easy on me if they see my bruises. While trying to stand a sharp pain shot through my ankle. 

"Hoot! Hoot! I would suggest leaving," the owl tube chimed in an obnoxious voice.

"What does it look like I am doing?" I hissed as pain shot through my body.

"Geesh! Kids these days!" the voice chimed. 

"Therapy won't be enough for this," I whispered, so Mr. Blight's spell couldn't pick up on my voice. Dammit, I don't want to marry Amity! My parents would kill me if I don't make it into the Emporer's coven, but is it really worth all this harassment. The preformed words made me want to puke, but I knew I would never make it into the coven alone. Mr. Blight has me in a tight collar where I have to please his demands.  Nevermind that, I must return to the Blight manor, so I prove to Mr. Blight my worth.  I guess it kills two birds in one stone with my parents because they want me to marry Amity, but I hurl at the actions I must use to convince Amity. Sure, she is cute, but I'm not even into girls. 

*Ding* My scroll echoed through the forest.

"Yes, who is it?" I asked fearing the reaction.

"Where are you, Marcus? You were supposed to be home hours ago," my mother's voice asked.

"I'm sorry mother, I am with Amity," I lied.

"Oh, alright. Have fun you lovebird," she teased.

"Thanks, mom," I replied as I hung up the phone. I took out the dagger I used against Amity and Luz and I chucked it in the dirt. My gut trembled knowing how selfish I was for acting out for my personal interests. I never wanted to hurt others, but I had to act or my head would be on a platter. One day, I am going to apologize to Luz and Amity for the treachery I have caused them. The Blight Manor shone through the night sky as I limped to the building. 

"Oh, Mark comes on in," Mr. Blight cheered.

"Yes, Mr. Blight," I replied as I entered the pits of hell. We walked for what felt like forever as we made it to the table.

"So, what do you have to report?" he questioned. 

"I tried to propose, but she refused. Sadly, I stabbed Luz for her curse had taken over her body, which caused Amity to bleed too," I responded with my head angled away from his gaze. 

"Hmm. That's good she is feeling pain for her actions. Thanks for punishing her, my boy! Feel free to do that when she accepts your hand in marriage," he giggled.

"She can't be my wife, Mr. Blight," I claimed. He looked puzzled as he stood up quickly. 

"What does that mean! She can't be your wife. Are you too good for her? Remember, you have no hope in hell making it into the Emporer's coven if you don't settle with our agreement. Alice gleefully takes my offers," he questioned in an angry stance. Yeah, Alice actually likes the person Mr. Blight sent her after. Alice is crazy, and she has everything she ever wanted besides her. My number two mistake is bringing Alice into this ordeal. All I do is cause people to suffer, it's all my fault.

"Luz is her soulmate," I replied quietly.

"Oh, so that is what you are worried about. Lucky for you I have a solution for the soulmate curse," he giggled.

"What do you mean?" I asked fearfully as I stared into Mr. Blight's eyes. He grabbed a silver potion in a sealed vile and he handed it to me. 

"This will eliminate the soulmate curse," he claimed.

"How do you do that? The soulmate curse is unbreakable," I asked worried by the glare I was receiving.

"Not true! This potion has great power. All you have to do is get Luz the human to drink it," he cooed as I toyed with the potion bottle. 

"What does it do?" I asked in a concerned tone. 

"It will eliminate your greatest enemy who has stolen your rightful love from you," he replied.

"It will kill her!" I shouted. He smiled as he looked into my eyes. 

"Yeah, she will die a slow and painful death in order to break the curse. Amity will be yours and your enemy will suffer. Why do you care about the effects?" Mr. Blight asked. 

"I was just curious that's all," I retorted as he smiled.

"You know curiosity killed the cat, but I admire that," Mr. Blight claimed. My nerves were filled with ice.

"Thank you, sir" I thanked. 

"No problem, you should probably head back to your home. Your parents must be worried sick," Mr. Blight informed. 

"Thank you, sir," I chirped.

"My pleasure," he replied while ushering me out. My body hobbled towards the woods while I carried the rotten potion. 

'Should I keep it' I thought. My body revolted at the idea of killing an innocent person. I never wanted this, I just want to die. My brain raced at the idea of keeping or discarding the potion. Sure, I would be safe from my own hell, but I would only pass it on to Luz and Amity. Quickly, I slammed the potion into the ground spilling the contents all over the forest floor. My heart raced knowing I would be heavily punished for my actions, but I no longer care. I could never live with myself if I killed someone who has never wronged me. Slowly, I limped towards my home in the absence of all light.

"Welcome home Marcus," my father chimed.

"Hello, father," I replied.

"How was seeing Amity until late?" he asked.

"I'm sorry for my absence father, I promise it won't happen again," I chirped as I put my arms in front of me. 

"Don't worry Marcus, I'm glad you are starting to like the girl we assigned for you," he replied with a rare smile.

"Yeah, she is pretty great," I replied.

"You should get to bed Marcus, I heard you have a big test tomorrow," he explained.

"Yes, I have a large test. Goodnight father," I replied.

"Goodnight son," he responded as I walked to my dimly lit room. Thank god I was allowed to leave without a beating. I swear my bed is the most comforting thing in my life. At least it listens to me.