Substitution

Mark's POV: 

The crimson letter burned through my vision as I stumbled to the table.

'Who would send me a letter?' I thought. Slowly, I picked up the letter to reveal Mr. Blight's handwriting. Oh shit! He is going to kill me, isn't he? Alice was about to do it for him. Maybe, I should accept my fate, and I should die. I did deserve it, plus, I don't want to put Luz and Amity through more agony. When I opened the letter I threw it to the table just as I noticed a liquid shooting out. Thankfully, it missed me, but I knew it was no good.

'Hello Markus, I recognized you had no more intention to participate in our deal. My heart was saddened, so I decided to give you another chance. This spray potion should help rejuvenate your motivation. Well, I look forwards to see you now son-in-law,' The note read. The smell of the liquid was bile, and I made sure not to touch it. 

"Rejuvenate my ass," I whispered while cleaning up this mess. Luz looked over to me in concern, and I gave her a fake smile; however, this didn't convince her. Amity and Luz looked saddened at my grief. The Blight twins had pure terror on their faces, as they ran back to their seats. 

"Hello, class. Today we would have had our test, but your teacher is absent today," A familiar voice informed in the back of the school. The clanking of boots rang through the room as the brown-haired man himself waltz down the aisle.

'Alador' I feared as I gripped my hands into fists. 

"Today is a free day, so show me your power!" he shouted. 

"Yo! You are a sub, so, therefore, you have no right to tell us what to do," A voice echoed from the back of the room. 

"Silent, you insolent fool! Don't you know who I am? I have a high-ranking in the Emporer's coven, and it is a privilege for you to tread the same ground as me!" he replied with a twisted smirk. That's how I got the letter! I looked over to Luz and Amity to see their faces grey with fear.

'Stroking your ego much aren't you?' I thought as I put my hand close to my dagger. 

"Get in groups, and I'll access your worth," he chimed. Slowly, I stood up to hobble over to Luz and Amity. I knew this could get me killed, but a promise is a promise. I'll never allow my cowardice to harm them once again physically and mentally. They helped me over as Gus followed us to the table. 

"I'm assuming he will want groups of two, so we better split off," Luz stated with panic etched on her face. 

"I'll team up with Mark if he is okay with that," Gus offered with a small blush. 

"I would love that," I added. 

"Now that you have your teams, I would like to have a fight with each group," Mr. Blight claimed. 

"What?" everyone shouted in unison.

"You heard me, and since I am so kind I'll pick the first group. Markus and Agustus please step up to the front of the classroom.

'I'm so screwed,' I thought. Writing on my hand appeared. How the hell did that happen? It said you got this! Gus pulled out his hand, and he showed me the message.

'This is probably one of his illusion spells' I thought. We walked to the front of the room to fight the enemy who has stood in my way all this time. 

"The fight will commence in ten, nine, eight, screw it!" he shouted as he ran towards us with a fire spell. 

"That's not an illusion! Gus look out!" I screamed while jumping in front of him to take the blow. The burn opened my scab from earlier, and blood started to stain my cloak. 

"Gotchya!" Mr. Blight giggled. 

"I knew you were cruel, but damn," I whispered. My hand reached for the dagger that had caused nothing but agony. If anyone deserved agony it was Mr. Blight; however, he smiled as he ran for Gus.

"Here I am!" he boomed as he shot Gus across the room with a fire spell. My heart raced, and fear stopped my movements. Why him? He didn't deserve this! Little did I know that a clone was the one who was knocked away.

"No, here I am!" Gus shouted as he attacked Mr. Blight from behind.

"Oww! Man, this kid really one-ups you, Markus. Maybe, he should take the placement in the Emporer's coven," he toyed. I ignored his taunts, running to support Gus.

"Come on man! You are a substitute!" Gus hissed. 

"I'm better than any of you," he replied while striking my side with his flaming fist. 

"Ouch! Yeah, sure you are. You are teaching kids to hate themselves, but I guess you are the knight in shining armor to everyone in this room aren't ya?" I coughed watching his expression turn. 

"I'm done fighting your group. Fight's over! You lose," he explained as I hobbled over to my seat. Gus gave me a concerned look as he gave me a small hug.

"Mr. Blight am I right?" I giggled, reaching for the bloodied spot on my uniform.

"Mark you need to go to the nurse's office. I'll come with you," Gus worried.

"Nah, I'll be fine don't worry your pretty little head about me," I giggled. Gus blushed slightly, but his face was filled with concern.

"Please Mark, you are hurt," he cried.

"Argh! You are right, I'll go with you," I groaned as my pain level increased. We hobbled to the front of the room as we tried to escape the dungeon. 

"Where are you two going? Nevermind I don't care anyway. The next group who will take me on is Luz and Amity," he informed. Gus and I trudged toward the nurse's office.

Amity's POV:

"Shit! Why is my father here?" I whispered to Luzy. Her face was filled with fear as he called us forward. He almost killed Mark what will he do to us? Luzy grabbed my hand as we walked to the front of the room.

"Good, the fight will commence in ten," dad cooed. Luzy pulled out her glyph book as we stood together.

"Amity Blight, what's with those ears?" my father questioned. 

"What? You don't know. That's kinda sick you know. Why don't I tell the class about you cursing the two of us with the wolf-curse?" I spat while his face scrunched. 

"Stop making up stories Amity. The fight starts now!" he shouted. Mr. Blight used the same tricks he used with Mark. I found his weak spot, and I pushed him away. He shot to the wall as claws appeared on my fingernails. 

"Good job Ami!" Luzy cheered. 

"Ha! That was nothing," he giggled. He bolted towards Luzy and he struck her with a flame spell. 

"AHHHH!" Luzy yelped. A large burn appeared on our arms while Mr. Blight pranced around the room.

"Get away from her!" I shouted as I lunged to attack the man I curse every day. My brute strength knocked him to the floor. I pinned him as he fought to escape.

"What would you kill your dear old dad?" he cried.

"No, I don't want to swoop to your level," I growled. 

"Then you should let me go," he explained. 

"Oh, I didn't say I was below pain. This is for Mark! This is for your cruelty to Luz and me!" I claimed as I scratched him and punched him in the face. His body fell as he was knocked out. Slowly, I got up as the class cheered for the end of Mr. Blight's tyranny. Luzy held me into her embrace while I gave her a small peck on the lips.

"Hello class, I am your subsite---. Who in the world is this?" the surprised teacher yelped.

"He broke in claiming he was our sub, and he tried to make us fight to the death," I replied.

"I'm going to get Principal Bump. He'll deal with the intruder," the sub comforted.