Bonus Chapter 3

Bonus chapter 3

Carter's POV

As the date for the ball gets closer and closer, I can't help but feel excited. I thought I would be terrified when I had first agreed, but now I can't wait until the day is here. I still have the nightmares, but my talk with Ryder gave me a lot of hope. My mate is still alive, and she hasn't been with anyone else. The amount of joy I get when I think of that overshadows any nightmares I have.

I wonder if she looks the same or if she's changed. Does she still act the same or is she completely different?

"Stop worrying so much! You're stressing me out!" My wolf yells at me. I take a few deep breaths and try to find something else that I can focus on.

"Carter, can you come help me with Zach?" Elizabeth mindlinks me. I'm grateful for the distraction and I immediately agree.

"Yes, luna. I will be there as soon as I can." I quickly rush out of my small house and head towards the alpha house.

As I approach, I can see Ryder, Elizabeth and Zach string outside. I approach slowly, just in case they were having a family moment.

"Good morning Carter," Elizabeth says with a smile on her face. I return her smile just as Zach comes running towards me.

"Hi uncle Carter! Guess what happened to me this morning?" He grins. I can tell right away that he lost one of his teeth, but I decided to pretend I don't know.

"What happened? I can't see anything different about you," I tease as I look him up and down. He tugs on my hand before he gestures to his mouth.

"I'll give you a hint. It has something to do with my teeth!" He exclaims while opening his mouth widely. I tap my chin and playfully shake my head.

"I'm sorry but I still don't see anything." He rolls his eyes before pointing at the gap between his teeth.

"I lost a tooth this morning! It came right out as I was brushing my teeth! I almost swallowed it!" He yells with wide eyes. My eyes widened too and I let out a gasp.

"Wow! Now I can clearly see the missing tooth! How did I miss that before?" Zach shrugs his tiny shoulders before tugging me along the path to his house. Ryder and Elizabeth are talking in hushed voices before Ryder leans down and presses a kiss against her forehead. He leans down and presses a kiss to her stomach before murmuring something into it that has Elizabeth laughing. He grins at her as he stands back up and I can't help but smile at the scene.

They turn to Zach and I as we start walking up the steps.

"I have some business I have to take care of, and I would appreciate you being here to watch my family," Ryder states while picking Zach up. I nod my head.

"Of course, alpha."

"Uncle Jake said that he would be stopping by with his mate sometime today," Zach reminds his dad. Ryder nods and runs a hand through his sons hair.

"I know. I should be home by then." He places a quick kiss on Zachs head before putting him down.

"I'll see all of you later on. Carter, don't forget to stop by and see how the decorations for the party are going," Ryder says before leaving.

"So what are we doing today?" I ask Elizabeth. She shrugs lightly and rubs her stomach.

"We could go for a little walk and we could show Zach some more "tricks" if you want to. Then we can head to the pack house." I nod my head eagerly and wait as the two of them disappear into the house to get jackets and put on their shoes. Zach loves it when Elizabeth and I use our powers. He thinks it's the coolest thing.